Need a new phone, so many choices. Suggestions?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Gummysmasher

Re: Need a new phone, so many choices. Suggestions?

Post by Gummysmasher » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Give me an absolute spell, Samsung are plain trash !

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Just get the new Nokia 33xx.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Fish-cador wrote:I smashed my last Xperia out of frustration. When browsing in the dark the screen shuts down due to the front sensor not sensing someone is looking at it.

Note 8 ticks all the buttons. So easy to use. Unlocks when picked up. The fingerprint sensor is right where my finger lands. Unlocks when i hold it in front of me. Unlocks inside the car. Plays any music i dont have to buy from itunes.

And it can fly my drone!
So that's how you do it, :-D cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm the outlier on this in I've always had HTC's and not once has one lasted under 2 years, all sold except 1 still 100% working as quick as the day it was made. That 1 had a smashed screen after 1 to many drops on the steel barriers at a music festival at the ripe old age of 3. Micro sd card means I don't need a cloud or anything similar to keep all my photos and videos between new phones. Sense ***** all over Samsung's offering and makes Android very simple for the iPhone brigade. Can actually be used as a portable hot-spot for anything, unlike my bosses iPhone which basically becomes useless.

Samsung: trash gui that overloads the phone and slows it down.

IPhone: 3 year old technology marketed to the masses as brand new ground breaking stuff. My 2 year old HTC10 has basically everything the new fancy $2000 iPhone X has, and as far as advanced usability goes, annihilates the iPhones locked up iOs

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks all.

Ended up buying a Samsung S8+.

Chris

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

Get a bullet proof case for it, not only will it reduce chance of breaking but if it does fail the phone case will still be mint and make it harder for them to reneg on warranty due to "user damage"

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:07 am

Good idea, although I've got it insured through work for accidental damage. But def a case is a must.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:16 am

Pleased you got a new phone Chris. I hope it serves you well.

However, I'm a Luddite when it comes to phones. I hate them all.

All I want is a phone where I can make and receive a phone call and maybe, just maybe, send an odd text or two.
I don't do face ache, twitter, instagrams and all this other social media crap. I don't play dopey games and I don't use or have a need for all these "apps" or other gizmos.

Just give me a simple phone. Something with a screen that's easy to see, has buttons big enough to press and something that fits easily in my pocket.

Just last week I bought a very simple and basic phone, (Nokia I think), after putting up with a more "modern" phone for the last twelve months which caused me nothing but frustration. Never new how to use it, swipe it, scroll it, press this or press that. The stupid screens were full of buttons that my fat fingers always pressed the wrong thing.

Last week I gave my old phone the coup d' grace. I smashed the crap out of it with a sledge hammer. It was the only time I've ever had any satisfaction of doing anything with it.

Thank God I've gone back to a very basic phone.
I'm happy being a Luddite.
:)

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:23 am

You're not the only one. I'm an ex-IT guru, but have an immense dislike for so-called "smart" phones - they're a huge waste of time. Just look at the number of phone-zombies lurching around public spaces these days! :-)

I had an Nokia 1100 for years until Telstra switched the old (2G?) network off!

Now I have a Telstra Cruise, the simplest phone I could get and cost a whole 10 bucks.

I have a prepaid Lycamobile SIM which has no data, just allows calls and the odd text message. Credits never expire. A $10 recharge can last me up to 6 months...

Does all I need a phone to do.

Mike.
Whiskers wrote: However, I'm a Luddite when it comes to phones. I hate them all.

All I want is a phone where I can make and receive a phone call and maybe, just maybe, send an odd text or two.
I don't do face ache, twitter, instagrams and all this other social media crap. I don't play dopey games and I don't use or have a need for all these "apps" or other gizmos.

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:14 am

It's just a phone, spending anywhere over $300 for a phone sounds unreasonable to me...

Return to “Off Topic Forum”