Please help me find a used Midsize 4x4 SUV

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Please help me find a used Midsize 4x4 SUV

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am

I've never heard anyone say anything bad about a Subaru (I had a Forester a few years ago...couldn't fault it)

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm

frozenpod wrote:The previous model outlander with the drop down section on the boot door was good. No idea with the new one.
That's the one....

I would consider a wagon if it was 4x4 or AWD and within budget.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:13 pm

subaru outback is great but you'd struggle in that price range to find low mileage

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

fishingvic wrote:Hi guys,

I've sold my old 2003 X-Trail and am now after a newer replacement Mid sized SUV.

Budget is around $15k give or take a couple of grand. Probably looking at something from around 2010-2013. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

I like the look of the Mitsubishi Outlander ZH 4x4 (2009-2012) but can't seem to find one in the colour I'm after with low KM's.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for any other vehicles I should be looking at in this price range.

Cheers,
Jon
hey Jon had a look around the car lot today nothing to suit you but will keep a eyeout

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm

The forester would be the pick, but wont get anything newish and low kms with that price range. you might possibly get a decent Liberty wagon for that price but they still going to be 100km plus mileage. i have a liberty wagon and they are great.

Others you could consider are the Kia and Hyundai variants of the 4wd range.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 pm

I had a Subaru. It was great. Was. Reason? Well the ej25 motor has a little problem of forming little holes in the head/head gasket that allow exhaust gases to leach into the cooling system. Now that is VERY hard to find out when it's minor, however eventually it ain't so minor and you'll hit the go pedal a bit more than half way and the extra pressure forces the radiator core or outlet/inlet or all 3 to suddenly burst in a cloud of coolant and steam. Mind you I had put on 260,000km of driving anywhere and everywhere it scrapped over. Chemiweld helped to maintain what little trade in value it had at the time.

I joined the dc ute brigade with a proven turbo diesel drivetrain and a real 4wd system, albeit a 10yo car. Zero regrets at all and other than dodgy fuel related problems zero issues.

willow17

Post by willow17 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 pm

I had friends who brought a second hand Hyundai ix35 and have been happy with it, you can pick them up for around the $15,000 with low Kms
I would also look at the commodore wagons you can get some cheap ones only a couple years old with only around the 50,000-75,000kms.
Pickles auctions are worth a look saw a few of the wagons go for around 12-14K only a few years old.
https://www.pickles.com.au/catalogue?p_ ... =980004463

Ekaz3556

Post by Ekaz3556 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 am

Apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know, but there is a big difference between 4x4 and AWD.
In an AWD car up to 90% of the power can be sent to the front or rear wheels which means when you are bogged you will stay bogged as the end ( front or rear ) that is slipping will keep slipping.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:49 am

Ekaz3556 wrote:Apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know, but there is a big difference between 4x4 and AWD.
In an AWD car up to 90% of the power can be sent to the front or rear wheels which means when you are bogged you will stay bogged as the end ( front or rear ) that is slipping will keep slipping.
Not in the subarus as they are constant AWD, theres no power shift. most pretend AWD these days are mostly front wheel drives and then when traction is needed power is sent to the rear ..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am

purple5ive wrote:
Ekaz3556 wrote:Apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know, but there is a big difference between 4x4 and AWD.
Not in the subarus as they are constant AWD, theres no power shift. most pretend AWD these days are mostly front wheel drives and then when traction is needed power is sent to the rear ..
Didnt know that

Return to “Off Topic Forum”