Sleeping bag rating clarity

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Sleeping bag rating clarity

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi all, looking for a new sleeping bag to replace the old one which has lost its warmth but served me well over 8-10 years.

Tbh, I'm not sure if I have the right interpretation of the temp ratings and it seem the terms of rating are not entirely consistent across manufacturers. Presume Min and Max are the acceptable extremes of human comfort in the sleeping bag and the advertised rating is the optimum temperature for use (which I also presume is relating to air temperature)?

Previous sleeping bag was an ebay cheapie rated at - 10. Despite the skeptisism of the bags performance VS rating, I generally found it to serve the winters well and I often got sweated out in summer. Main purchase consideration this time around is if I should go for a lesser temp rating (say - 5) to make it more of a comfortable all rounder and get an insert for the colder periods.

Would appreciate people's 2c on experience with inserts and selection of temp rating for all round Victorian use (my usage period is generally end to end of the trout season within the alpine areas) Cheers, Chris

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Re: Sleeping bag rating clarity

Post by Tim399 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:22 pm

I did a 4wd trip to the big desert a couple of years ago on queens bday weekend (June), and found it so cold in my average sleeping bag I couldn't even sleep. This year I bought one from menace marine and did the same trip, with the same cold temps I was stripping down to my underwear overnight. It has 4 or 5 layers so you can sleep with as little layers on top as you want. It also opens up to two doonas if you need something less bulky and not as hot. It is a bulky sleeping bag but if space isn't an issue it may be worth a look.

http://www.menacemarine.com.au/durable- ... eeping-bag

Menace marine is also a seller on eBay, I got it from their eBay store to save travelling to their shop

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm

I bought a sleeping bag from anaconda -6 rating great in winter but summer I use it as a Doona it's too hot to sleep in

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am

Tim399 wrote:I did a 4wd trip to the big desert a couple of years ago on queens bday weekend (June), and found it so cold in my average sleeping bag I couldn't even sleep. This year I bought one from menace marine and did the same trip, with the same cold temps I was stripping down to my underwear overnight. It has 4 or 5 layers so you can sleep with as little layers on top as you want. It also opens up to two doonas if you need something less bulky and not as hot. It is a bulky sleeping bag but if space isn't an issue it may be worth a look.

Menace marine is also a seller on eBay, I got it from their eBay store to save travelling to their shop
how big does it fold up 2 ??

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 am

barra mick wrote:
Tim399 wrote:I did a 4wd trip to the big desert a couple of years ago on queens bday weekend (June), and found it so cold in my average sleeping bag I couldn't even sleep. This year I bought one from menace marine and did the same trip, with the same cold temps I was stripping down to my underwear overnight. It has 4 or 5 layers so you can sleep with as little layers on top as you want. It also opens up to two doonas if you need something less bulky and not as hot. It is a bulky sleeping bag but if space isn't an issue it may be worth a look.

how big does it fold up 2 ??
I have one of these BM, good sleeping bag but it rolls up in a bag nearly as big as a swag, like Tim said great if space isn't a problem. Also you can separate the middle section, that gives you 2 bags and folds smaller, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 am

As Dave said, the bag it comes in is about the size of a swag, but if you roll it up tightly (or take one of the layers out in summer) it packs down smaller. I roll mine up tight then also put some clothes in the carry bag. Also it is wider than a single sleeping bag

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 am

Menace marine is also a seller on eBay, I got it from their eBay store to save traveling to their shop
X2 for this sleeping bag, an absolute beast. I had a similar one in the UK, you could sleep outside in -10C with it and be comfy. But beware it is a behemoth in size.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I have been looking to get one of these as well. Through doing some research and talking to people I believe they are designed to use with minimal clothing. Apparently if you put layer's of clothing they are less effective.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:46 pm

That's ok by me I always sleep in the nude

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Regarding wearing clothing, the sleeping bags with insulation that draws and retains body heat well - you are better off wearing less clothing as the volume layers restrict the sleeping bags draw of body heat. The ones that are average at pulling/retaining heat you have to add layers accordingly.

That Menace marine is a beast no doubt! Size and weight alone put it out of reason for me - didnt state in OP but compact pack-size is a requirement.
Nude up wrote:I bought a sleeping bag from anaconda -6 rating great in winter but summer I use it as a Doona it's too hot to sleep in
Cheers NudeUp - was it a house brand or name brand? What was one of the coldest nights you put it to use in?

I'm looking at this -5 rated bag with the intent to get a heat boosting liner. I need a bit of space to seperate the feet else i'll go nuts trying to get comfortable, great pack size and decent weight.

https://www.snowys.com.au/palm-passport-sleeping-bag-5

Return to “Off Topic Forum”