Sleeping bag rating clarity

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Sleeping bag rating clarity

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:18 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:Regarding wearing clothing, the sleeping bags with insulation that draws and retains body heat well - you are better off wearing less clothing as the volume layers restrict the sleeping bags draw of body heat. The ones that are average at pulling/retaining heat you have to add layers accordingly.

That Menace marine is a beast no doubt! Size and weight alone put it out of reason for me - didnt state in OP but compact pack-size is a requirement.
Nude up wrote:I bought a sleeping bag from anaconda -6 rating great in winter but summer I use it as a Doona it's too hot to sleep in
Cheers NudeUp - was it a house brand or name brand? What was one of the coldest nights you put it to use in?

I'm looking at this -5 rated bag with the intent to get a heat boosting liner. I need a bit of space to seperate the feet else i'll go nuts trying to get comfortable, great pack size and decent weight.

https://www.snowys.com.au/palm-passport-sleeping-bag-5
I have a paddy pallin feather down sleeping bag that is only good for the winter in the high country. It is light and compact and almost as g

XalFish

Re: Sleeping bag rating clarity

Post by XalFish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Depends on the brand (read that as price).

Your top of the line bags (Western Mountaineering, Rab, One planet, etc etc) all mean what they say with the ratings.

Cheaper stuff from your local outdoor shop, who knows.

I have a Rab Neutrino 600 down bag. It's very light, packs down well, and is comfortable in autumn, spring, and winter down to under -10 camping on snow. Slightly warm in summer, I just unzip it.

A big part of warmth depends on the insulation between you and the ground. On a nice insulating mat, you can use a much lighter bag. If you're lying it down on the cold winter earth or snow, your body compresses the filling and you're going to get *cold* even in a very warm bag. Pick a good mat as well ( I like exped downmats for hiking, but when car camping I have an old foam mattress about 3 inches thick. I sleep better on that than I do at home :D )

Return to “Off Topic Forum”