Road report. Any first hand experience on road conditions? Melbourne to scarborough

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Road report. Any first hand experience on road conditions? Melbourne to scarborough

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi all
we are planning out trip up to Scarborough and then down to Bermagui.
considering we are taking the boat on a log haul i was just wondering if any one have has any first hand experience on road to avoid on way up there?

also i think the territory is going to chew the juice a bit with the boat so will need to stop every 400 to 500km for fuel so need to keep that in mind.

its been about 7 years since i been up that way so cant remember fuel stops or road conditions might have changed since then.

i was thinking there are 2 ways up,
a) up the center 1800km 21 hours via shepparton, dubbo, goondiwindi then accross to Brisbane
stopping overnight near dubbo

or

b) up the coast 1900km 20 hours via albury, goulburn, Sydney, then up the coast to Brisbane
stopping overnight around newcastle

Any help is appreciated
cheers ricki

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Road report. Any first hand experience on road conditions? Melbourne to scarborough

Post by Nude up » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I think it may take a little longer towing the boat you have to be a little bit conservative overtaking the grey nomads.
15011461570330.jpg
15011461570330.jpg (94.86 KiB) Viewed 467 times
I have only ever driven as far as newcastle and from bne to byron bay,

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Re: Road report. Any first hand experience on road conditions? Melbourne to scarborough

Post by KeenAds » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:50 pm

I have done the drive melbourne to brisbane a few times now. I have always gone through the centre as you said and followed the Newell Hwy to goondawindi. The road is pretty good and as long as you travel during the day most towns have servos that are open.

I think you should aim at passing Dubbo for your overnight stop maybe Narrabri or Moree.

Travel from Melbourne to Albury on a fall tank and stop and fill up. Then work out your fuel consumption for the rest of the trip based on your average while towing.

Watch out for wildlife at dawn and dusk because there is more than roo's up that way.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

You might wanna put cardboard over your boat screen to minimise the sand blasting from trucks if you go the newell hwy.
quid est quod eum

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Nude up wrote:I think it may take a little longer towing the boat you have to be a little bit conservative overtaking the grey nomads.
15011461570330.jpg
I have only ever driven as far as newcastle and from bne to byron bay,
See how we go. I thinking going to take about 5 hrs more due to fuel stops and stops for the baby etc

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm

KeenAds wrote:I have done the drive melbourne to brisbane a few times now. I have always gone through the centre as you said and followed the Newell Hwy to goondawindi. The road is pretty good and as long as you travel during the day most towns have servos that are open.

I think you should aim at passing Dubbo for your overnight stop maybe Narrabri or Moree.

Travel from Melbourne to Albury on a fall tank and stop and fill up. Then work out your fuel consumption for the rest of the trip based on your average while towing.

Watch out for wildlife at dawn and dusk because there is more than roo's up that way.
I was.hoping to get pass dubbo probably to moree if we can just depends how many times have to stop and for how long

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:19 pm

ratbag wrote:You might wanna put cardboard over your boat screen to minimise the sand blasting from trucks if you go the newell hwy.
The wind screen quiet high so will it be a issue?

Do i just duct tape it down?
Attachments
20170613_145029.jpg

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:05 am

When I had a travel cover made for my haines it covers the windscreen. I would tape something over it just the dead bugs alone drives me up the wall. I did drive from syd to bermagui in 2010 the road just out of the gong on stilts over the ocean is fantastic but its a slow old drive down through the national park

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:12 am

I too am travelling into Queensland in Sep towing the caravan. I will be heading through Narrandera and Parkes/Forbes before stopping in Dubbo
Enjoy your trip and safe travels

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:20 am

canned_tuna wrote:I too am travelling into Queensland in Sep towing the caravan. I will be heading through Narrandera and Parkes/Forbes before stopping in Dubbo
Enjoy your trip and safe travels
Normally people take there caravans there in the vic winter the grey nomads will be treking back home in sep

Return to “Off Topic Forum”