removable side mirrors

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

removable side mirrors

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 am

hi
I was talking to a friend that pulls boats all the time and he asked if I can see behind the back of the boat with the car mirrors.
I of course said no cant see behind the boat.

he asked do I used do I use removable side mirror and I said no, I always just turn the car mirrors out wider
but this got me thinking.
with the car width at 1.9mt but boat width at 2.3mt and 7mt long on trailer,

would having removable side mirrors make any difference
looking at
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Towing-Mi ... rom=571673

is there any laws or road regulation on the issue.

what are your thoughts?

cheers ricki

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Re: removable side mirrors

Post by russellh2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:56 am

Google - "Laws or road regulation towing mirrors" - Heaps of Information.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:07 am

Yep they have laws for this, you must be able to see right down the sides of your boat so your mirrors must be out past the width of the boat to do so. I know one person that got a fine for this on his caravan. I believe it's also a law that you mustn't have them on when you are not towing.

I gave up looking for cheap options to solve this issue as everything I tested wobbled or caught the wind or made wind whistle or took too long to put on every time I towed my boat. Eventually went with everclear replacement mirrors, they are about $700 a pair new but I scored some used for half that. They are great and worth every cent if you tow often and give much better vision for driving in general.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 am

skronkman wrote:Yep they have laws for this, you must be able to see right down the sides of your boat so your mirrors must be out past the width of the boat to do so. I know one person that got a fine for this on his caravan. I believe it's also a law that you mustn't have them on when you are not towing.

I gave up looking for cheap options to solve this issue as everything I tested wobbled or caught the wind or made wind whistle or took too long to put on every time I towed my boat. Eventually went with everclear replacement mirrors, they are about $700 a pair new but I scored some used for half that. They are great and worth every cent if you tow often and give much better vision for driving in general.
Forget the cheap ones, unless you are only doing a few k's.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:15 pm

A guy at work who tows his malibu ski boat to yarrawonga he goes through I think it was yea the policeman from that town booked him for not being able to see behind him. He went to court and got off he has a big jeep and proved he could see down the side of his boat. I have a lc200 and tow a 650 haines and can see down the side with no issues.
A mate has a pajero with the towing mirrors that slide in and out the only drawback with them is you lose the folding capability.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”