Is it possible to repair a car tyre

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Is it possible to repair a car tyre

Post by greggo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 pm

purple5ive wrote:if its on the sidewall kiss it goodbye, most of the time on the bottom tread area it can be fixed they use a patch from the inside of the tyre, its not like a normal patch, you will have to see how its done.

you can see which one is better from the videos, expect to pay $20-30 for the dodgy repair and around $50 for the good one
I'm not sure where you got your costs from, but a "Dodgy" plug kit works out at about $2 a fix, on the side of the road, wheel stays on vehicle, all done and away again in 10 mins max...provided you have a compressor to inflate your tyre.

Spook

Post by Spook » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Like most things in life, looks can be deceiving.
There is a reason why temporary plugs are just that - temporary.
Steel belts can be damaged or frayed, beads can be damaged and sidewalls can be structurally weakened. Add to this, unknown tyre pressures and running conditions and you have the potential for a catastrophic failure. The tyre should always be taken to a professional to see if a repair is viable.
Maybe you get lucky and nothing happens for 60k, but if the tyre were to fail and someone got injured or killed, would you still feel clever that you had saved a few dollars?
Rules aren't created just for fun.
I am not having a go at anyone here, but I just want people to think things through, rather than going with an initial thought and not examining it further.

Boxhead

Post by Boxhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:03 pm

It will depend on the location of the hole.
If it is in or near the side wall they cant be repaired (legally) but if its in the tread area, this can be repaired with a patch on the inside.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

greggo wrote:I use a similar kit to this http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... ece/130242 on my Landcruiser. I absolutely swear by it...!

I've got two tyres still running the plugs after about 60, 000 k's, including one plug in a sidewall...!
This works perfectly. Never had issues with this. It is extremely light so balancing is not needed. Imagine just having chewing gum or dog **** on your tyres...just like that.

For bigger hole, use a few plugs and solvent. Works just fine. My wife's car tyre was vandalized hours after rolling out of the dealership. Someone wedged a bolt that looked like a spark plug on the continental tyre. $300 was the quote for a new one. I pulled 3 plugs, folded them, lubed the damage, solvent plus contact cement sealed the hole shut. Never had issues in a year now.
Last edited by Fish-cador on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boxhead

Post by Boxhead » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

greggo wrote:
purple5ive wrote:if its on the sidewall kiss it goodbye, most of the time on the bottom tread area it can be fixed they use a patch from the inside of the tyre, its not like a normal patch, you will have to see how its done.

you can see which one is better from the videos, expect to pay $20-30 for the dodgy repair and around $50 for the good one
I'm not sure where you got your costs from, but a "Dodgy" plug kit works out at about $2 a fix, on the side of the road, wheel stays on vehicle, all done and away again in 10 mins max...provided you have a compressor to inflate your tyre.

Plugs are only a temporary fix to get you home.
And these are really only for off road style tyres.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:19 pm

You can definitely get it fixed and it isn't just a quick fix but will last the life of the tire. I would get one of those repair kits as a "just in case" like if on a holiday or something, otherwise don't waste your time. Just take it to any tire place and it shouldn't cost you any more than $20

The only time you cant get a tire fixed is if there is a nail or hole in the side wall. Well you can fix it (I have before) but its illegal apparently.

I've had one tire on my car punctured and repaired in 3 different spots. Never had an issue and wore the tires into the ground.

Anth

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:31 pm

greggo wrote:

Prices are what ive been quoted when i was in a similar situation. i didnt do anything myself took it to the shop.
and not everyone carrys a compressor in their car everyday either :)
i guess when in remote areas the dodgy fix is the most sensible one.. provided you have the compressor.

in hindsight i certainly wouldnt want to do a dodgy fix on an expensive tyre, specially when it costs $250 and upwards per tyre..

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Cost of the tyre and or repair becomes irrelevant, when you have an accident and write off your car or someone else's and then insurance refuses to pay out. Or worse again you kill someone.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Take it to a proper tyre place and providing the tyre has roadworthy tread depth and the puncture is not on the side wall or edge they will fix it.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:56 pm

plugs are a temporary fix any car i rwc i remove and fix with a proper stem patch if the holes to big new tyre it is any damage to the sidewall kiss the tyre goodbye same as if the holes to big for the price of a tyre the risk is just not worth it pm me the brand and tyre size example 205/65/17 98v stamped on the sidewall of the tyre and i will let you know if your getting screwed on price

Return to “Off Topic Forum”