Ford Falcon FG on gas ... any feedback?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
ChrisAbout

Ford Falcon FG on gas ... any feedback?

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:01 am

Having sold my Craptiva, we need to buy a large family car under $10K that is also gentle on the wallet at the pump.
Bonus points if it can tow 1,700kg.

I've been looking at the FG Falcon range on factory gas and they seem very good value for money. Aussie made so spares are readily available, spacious, has all the features you expect from a 10y old car.
Gas consumption is rated at 15l/100km and with gas being half the price of petrol, that consumption equates to about 8l/100km in a petrol car, which is good for the size.
Tows 2300kg, so can tow the boat no worries.

The only 2 issues have are:
1. For my budget of $8k-$10k, most FG Falcons have around 200,000km on the clock.
2. The spare wheel in the boot may become an issue on trips where extra space is required.

Does anyone know what the lifespam for these engines is?
Does anyone kno if slim type spares are available?
(another option would be to mount the spare on its roof racks for those longer trips)

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Ford Falcon FG on gas ... any feedback?

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:06 am

ChrisAbout wrote:Having sold my Craptiva, we need to buy a large family car under $10K that is also gentle on the wallet at the pump.
Bonus points if it can tow 1,700kg.

I've been looking at the FG Falcon range on factory gas and they seem very good value for money. Aussie made so spares are readily available, spacious, has all the features you expect from a 10y old car.
Gas consumption is rated at 15l/100km and with gas being half the price of petrol, that consumption equates to about 8l/100km in a petrol car, which is good for the size.
Tows 2300kg, so can tow the boat no worries.

The only 2 issues have are:
1. For my budget of $8k-$10k, most FG Falcons have around 200,000km on the clock.
2. The spare wheel in the boot may become an issue on trips where extra space is required.

Does anyone know what the lifespam for these engines is?
Does anyone kno if slim type spares are available?
(another option would be to mount the spare on its roof racks for those longer trips)
I run a BA wagon on duel fuel it's just run in as it have just past 300,000 clicks - the later twin OHC 4000 engines are pretty good the only thing I don't like about dedicated gas is if you intend on driving north of Sydney -- we came unstuck on our first trip to SWR going up in a mates gas falcon - finding LPG at the pump became a problem - unlike here in Vic most petrol stations north of Sydney dont carry LPG
it's some thing worth thinking about

the next year we took my car running Gas when we could get it and no worries if we couldn't find it
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am

With any car. You look after it it will look after you, (maintenance wise) I personally believe longevity wise they are good.
(Ex ford worker )and if it ticks all your boxes , then bonus.
Replacement/changeover motors are getting cheaper for most common petrol/gas motors and parts are everywhere.

Always best to hook up the boat when test driving and pick a hot day .
As for the spare wheel . I would never recommend those slim ones. Especially if the car is used for towing.
Cheers stewy .

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:50 am

tuna tube runs an fg ute on gas he gets 16.9 normal driving (drives hard) towing his streaker 545 he got around 20 to 22 the 22 was mostly on the way to fishing 20 on the way home.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 am

I have booth an AU and a BF wagons on dedicated factory gas. Economy for a big car is great. Two concerns with dedicated gas are that you can never let it run out or its a tow job. Secondly the future of LPG. Taxis are going electric hybrid, Utes are now more commonly diesel. No longer making LPG cars in Aus. Large cars are fading away so dual fuel conversions are less. So you have to think are fewer and fewer servos going to be carrying LPG in 5-10 years time, or even is it going to cease altogether. Dedicated cars have a 115litre fuel tank so there is plenty of range

As far as durability my AU is nudging 350,000, mechanically no problems,just no straight panels and rusting pillers due to roof topping a kayak.

Great tow cars, but if you want to use the full 2300kg towing capacity you need heavier tow bar with more attachment points and stiffer springs. This is not a cheap upgrade,. Regular bar is only rated for 1600kg and you cant use load levellers with the standard bar.

The wagon is probably a better tow car, and less issues with the spare wheel but you would be looking at a BF

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Great info here guys. Thanks heaps. Appreciate it!

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:13 pm

If you're towing then avoid anything with independent rear suspension too. Solid axle or you'll be wearing out the insides of the tires. Not sure if the fg is IRS or not.

col1
Has liked: 9 times

Post by col1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I was in a similar situation last year needed a decent tow vehicle that could cart the family around for under 10 grand ended up with a 08 falcon dual fuel with 130,000 ks on it also came with the heavy duty tow pack,tows my Haines sig 5.42 easily, as for fuel consumption I don't exact figures but I went from driving Mazda 323 to work about 30 mins each way costing me about 40$ a week to now probly only spending 30$ a week on gas/fuel combined only had it 12 months but can't fault it

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:13 pm

laneends wrote: Secondly the future of LPG. Taxis are going electric hybrid, Utes are now more commonly diesel. No longer making LPG cars in Aus. Large cars are fading away so dual fuel conversions are less. So you have to think are fewer and fewer servos going to be carrying LPG in 5-10 years time, or even is it going to cease altogether.
I think this is a very good point.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Hydroman wrote:
laneends wrote: Secondly the future of LPG. Taxis are going electric hybrid, Utes are now more commonly diesel. No longer making LPG cars in Aus. Large cars are fading away so dual fuel conversions are less. So you have to think are fewer and fewer servos going to be carrying LPG in 5-10 years time, or even is it going to cease altogether.
I think this is a very good point.
Good point. But the falcon will be worth nothing in 5-10 years time regardless. May aswell take the good times before they run out.

I'd be looking at the wagons mate. Plenty of room in them. Only now as I type it. Did they make an fg wagon? I've had BA/BF as work cars before.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”