The government and the aged care pension. does this effect you?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: The government and the aged care pension. does this effect you?

Post by scott__henning » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:52 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Luluberlu wrote:
smile0784 wrote:How do you access your super to buy propertys
You can't...unless your 55 and born before 1960 ...something like that
Thats what i thought.

But
I remember reading some where if you have a self managed super fund you could do that but when i looked into that the fees alone were like $2500 a year compared to indusrty superfund of $400 to 700 a year.
You can buy property within a self managed super fund if you so wish, but starting a SMSF with less than $200,000 is not worth the extra costs involved (usually). If you really want to hold a larger property balance within your portfolio, there are plenty of super funds that allow you to buy property index funds, many of which have performed well over the past 5-10 years with the property boom.

Putting all your eggs in one basket is ill advised however. Don't expect property to continuously grow at the current rate in the future.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm

This is just what I've gathered from reading the papers but buying property for the capital gain these days seems like a terrible idea... how much higher can the prices realistically go before these's a crash or the legislation around negative gearing is changed? As for rental yield, I don't know if anything has changed since then but earlier in the year someone pointed out that term deposits were getting better returns
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:38 pm

4liters wrote:This is just what I've gathered from reading the papers but buying property for the capital gain these days seems like a terrible idea... how much higher can the prices realistically go before these's a crash or the legislation around negative gearing is changed? As for rental yield, I don't know if anything has changed since then but earlier in the year someone pointed out that term deposits were getting better returns
Don't ever put your money in a Term deposit that is what Baby boomers did there are better savings accounts these days and you can access your money. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Boonanza wrote:
4liters wrote:This is just what I've gathered from reading the papers but buying property for the capital gain these days seems like a terrible idea... how much higher can the prices realistically go before these's a crash or the legislation around negative gearing is changed? As for rental yield, I don't know if anything has changed since then but earlier in the year someone pointed out that term deposits were getting better returns
Don't ever put your money in a Term deposit that is what Baby boomers did there are better savings accounts these days and you can access your money. :thumbsup:
Yeah I'm not sure what other options are out there, that was just comparison the author used
here's the article, I was mistaken about the date - it was last year
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-01/t ... ng/6820834
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Off Topic Forum”