Western port

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: Western port

Post by fishingvic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Longshot wrote:As all the other blokes mentioned, Don't go anywhere flat out unless your 100% sure your in a shipping channel/deep water. Otherwise you might end up buried head first in French Island.
As for the winds anything under 10 knots is fine, 10-15 can be messy and 15+ forget it.
Stony Point is a good ramp for beginners, right in the middle of the action.
Hope it helps!
Great advice here :thumbsup:
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Longshot wrote:As all the other blokes mentioned, Don't go anywhere flat out unless your 100% sure your in a shipping channel/deep water. Otherwise you might end up buried head first in French Island.
As for the winds anything under 10 knots is fine, 10-15 can be messy and 15+ forget it.
Stony Point is a good ramp for beginners, right in the middle of the action.
Hope it helps!
One day I headed over towards French Island, watching the sounder, the depth goes from around 80 feet, to 2 foot in a matter of a few metres. Well maybe around 6-10 metres.

Another spot to watch is Joe's Island, where more than a few boats have come to grief.

Interestingly though, when I travelled the Tooridan Channel a few blokes deliberately put their boats on the mud on falling tide and then fish the incoming tide.

But the point is that if you do run aground, is not to panic, that's why it is a good idea to have a few drinks (non alcoholic) and some nibbleys and wait until the tide comes back and floats you off.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm

If you want some good advice and an endless amount of info, give Gawaine Blake a buzz and find out when he is going to do guided trips again. He comes out on your boat and helps you out with everything, might be a little pricey, but the info you will have access to isn't in any books, that I know of.

slinga

Post by slinga » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Brett wrote:If you want some good advice and an endless amount of info, give Gawaine Blake a buzz and find out when he is going to do guided trips again. He comes out on your boat and helps you out with everything, might be a little pricey, but the info you will have access to isn't in any books, that I know of.
Him or Brendan Wing probably know WP better than most, and they know alot about the fishing too!!
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Winga was doing guides also, but I'm not sure if he is anymore or not. Could be worth giving him a buzz also though.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 pm

fishingvic wrote:GPS is a must or you will eventually hit a sand bar!
Bring yabbie pump and start pumping as soon as the hull hits bottom. I hope they serve cold beer on that bar. :roflmao:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

St3vil

Post by St3vil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks heaps guys. I will try to get on to one of those guides and go from there.
Best idea by far i think and i don't mind spending the money for good info that you can't find in books.
Worst case might be that i catch a $700.00 whiting. Bloody expensive fish and chips.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am

Brett wrote:If you want some good advice and an endless amount of info, give Gawaine Blake a buzz and find out when he is going to do guided trips again. He comes out on your boat and helps you out with everything, might be a little pricey, but the info you will have access to isn't in any books, that I know of.
Definitely +1 on that.
The experience & knowlege ya can pick up in one session with Gawaine is worth at leats 10 years (if not more) by yerself I reckon. Might be pricey but IMO it's cheap at double the price.

Also, with regards to running aground in Western Port I'm on Worsteling's side when he says there's only two types of boat owners that fish Western Port - those that have run aground & those that will.
Might not happen for quite a while, but sooner or later, if ya fish there enough, it will happen.

Bill.

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

I forgot to mention Dale McClelland, he also offers a guiding service and knows western port very well.
He's away in singapore until tomorrow(catching sailfish) He's a great bloke and very easy going.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”