Am i the unluckyest bloke around or do i over use my insurance policies?

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
DR.SPESH

Re: Am i the unluckyest bloke around or do i over use my insurance policies?

Post by DR.SPESH » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:
for them yes but for someone that has a real disability or the age pension it is just $845 a fortnight you try and live on $422.50 a week

Thats heaps you can live on half that if you have to.
The missus and I just got On the pension(Disability/carers) and by the time we pay mortgage/bills/general living expenses. We have around $200 left over per fortnight. Not the end of the world considering we have 2 kids and no one has to go without. I was quite surprised that we would be receiving a bit under $1,900 per fortnight between us.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Backtracking to the laptop in cars thing, a few years back my No. 1 decky was at a Melbourne hospital and was chatting to a patient who was being treated after being bashed. Patient admitted to doing drugs, with the habit costing in the vicinity of $2000 per week. My decky enquired as to where the patient managed to find 2 grand cash every week, as even as a trainee surgeon at the time he reckoned he would have struggled to find that amount. The reply:

"I walk around and look for laptops in cars".

Ever since he told me this I have avoided leaving any electronics in cars, and on the odd occasion my car has been got into all they have managed to secure is some loose change and set of crappy golf clubs. Some colleagues have not been so careful, on one occasion a work vehicle was broken into and a computer and gps was taken. Both were recovered the following day from the bottom of someone's swimming pool - they had been chucked over the fence. The gps was fine, the computer stuffed.

When I was up north break ins of cars at boat ramps were so commonplace that some insurance companies were advising clients to leave their cars unlocked so that thieves would not have to break into them to gain access.

But there you have it. A $100k a year tax free income from stealing from cars is the choice occupation for some. Comes with some occupational hazards. The patient said he was bashed just while "walking along minding my own business", but I suspect he was caught in the act of performing his regular duties......

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:02 am

DR.SPESH wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:
for them yes but for someone that has a real disability or the age pension it is just $845 a fortnight you try and live on $422.50 a week

The missus and I just got On the pension(Disability/carers) and by the time we pay mortgage/bills/general living expenses. We have around $200 left over per fortnight. Not the end of the world considering we have 2 kids and no one has to go without. I was quite surprised that we would be receiving a bit under $1,900 per fortnight between us.

Your lucky I had to go onto sickness / disability pension few years back now and all I go was $220 a week. Not even enough to cover the mortgage. Wasn't enough to cover medical bills either.
They said I'm better off selling the house and paying rent and I would get renters assistant.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:08 am

Queasy wrote:Backtracking to the laptop in cars thing, a few years back my No. 1 decky was at a Melbourne hospital and was chatting to a patient who was being treated after being bashed. Patient admitted to doing drugs, with the habit costing in the vicinity of $2000 per week. My decky enquired as to where the patient managed to find 2 grand cash every week, as even as a trainee surgeon at the time he reckoned he would have struggled to find that amount. The reply:

"I walk around and look for laptops in cars".

Ever since he told me this I have avoided leaving any electronics in cars, and on the odd occasion my car has been got into all they have managed to secure is some loose change and set of crappy golf clubs. Some colleagues have not been so careful, on one occasion a work vehicle was broken into and a computer and gps was taken. Both were recovered the following day from the bottom of someone's swimming pool - they had been chucked over the fence. The gps was fine, the computer stuffed.

When I was up north break ins of cars at boat ramps were so commonplace that some insurance companies were advising clients to leave their cars unlocked so that thieves would not have to break into them to gain access.

But there you have it. A $100k a year tax free income from stealing from cars is the choice occupation for some. Comes with some occupational hazards. The patient said he was bashed just while "walking along minding my own business", but I suspect he was caught in the act of performing his regular duties......
Expensive habbit to have. I'd say. Lol rather spend that money on a boat but I'm sure if I was taking something a boat would be last thing on my mind. And if you got caught u be screwed. Lol. But if got caught and on drugs does it work that your not of sound so not responsible for your actions so could get away with it. But legally be iffy I think

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 am

Except the police will book you for leaving your vehicle unsecured.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:14 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:When I was up north break ins of cars at boat ramps were so commonplace that some insurance companies were advising clients to leave their cars unlocked so that thieves would not have to break into them to gain access.

Can they actually do that? Not at all revenue raising
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 am

I heard of police at bermagui doing it.
They did a while speavh thing at the pub and club one day and then started handing out fines a few days later!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:24 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:When I was up north break ins of cars at boat ramps were so commonplace that some insurance companies were advising clients to leave their cars unlocked so that thieves would not have to break into them to gain access.

Insurance companies wouldn't honour the claim either, as the vehicle was not secured.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 am

Brett wrote: Insurance companies wouldn't honour the claim either, as the vehicle was not secured.
Maybe that's part of the reason they were advising clients to leave them unlocked - so they wouldn't have to pay up lol? I spoke to my insurer about it who said that was not their policy, and yes, police have been known to even book parked cars that are locked but have their window/s wound down to let our heat more than the prescribed 5cm.

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:48 am

smile0784 wrote:
DR.SPESH wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Tackleberry wrote:

Your lucky I had to go onto sickness / disability pension few years back now and all I go was $220 a week. Not even enough to cover the mortgage. Wasn't enough to cover medical bills either.
They said I'm better off selling the house and paying rent and I would get renters assistant.
Yes there is a lot of sad stories out there about people not getting paid what they deserve that's why we consider ourselves lucky! Other them my chic is is in and out of hospital and in constant pain. Now the cancer has not only gone from her breast to her bones but in the last 2 months it's managed to find it's way to her lungs and liver. Very sad and very hard for us 4.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”