Injured wildlife

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Injured wildlife

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:08 am

Just witnessed a car hit a roo and the roo crawling to the side of the road in obvious agony, made my heart sink as I can't stand animal cruelty or seeing animals in pain (yes I understand the irony as a fisherman, but I do everything outside fighting the fish to be as humane as possible)

My first instinct was to stop and put it out of its misery but unfortunately I wasn't driving and my colleague didn't want to stop as he doesn't have the same views as me and frankly didnt give a ****

It got me thinking anyway, if I came across this in the future what would I do? My first thought was grab a 10 pound hammer and bang it on the head, but I'm not sure whether it would be a fatal blow or if it would make things worse, and getting messy with multiple blows would be the last thing I want...

What would u guys do and what is the most humane way without the obvious (a gun)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Injured wildlife

Post by Mattblack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:10 am

pretty sure its illegal to intervene....roo's die of shock fairly quickly if that makes you feel a bit better

duncanarmstrong

Post by duncanarmstrong » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 am

Depending on where you are there would be a wildlife volunteer close by (just looked it up sure enough, this is impressive) https://www.wildlife.vic.gov.au/injured ... d-wildlife
It's good to involve someone who knows what they're doing as they check Roos to ensure they don't have a Joey in the pouch.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 am

Kimtown wrote: What would u guys do and what is the most humane way without the obvious (a gun)
You would be up **** creek if you used a gun mate. Most of today's laws are result of replacing what worked with what sounds good. Unfortunately injured animals come last. Even if you contact WIRES, it all takes time and few if any of them are licensed to despatch the animal anyway. Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am

Stumpjumper wrote:
Kimtown wrote: What would u guys do and what is the most humane way without the obvious (a gun)
You would be up sh*t creek if you used a gun mate. Most of today's laws are result of replacing what worked with what sounds good. Unfortunately injured animals come last. Even if you contact WIRES, it all takes time and few if any of them are licensed to despatch the animal anyway. Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished.
Exactly....

So ways other than using a gun?!
Mattblack wrote:pretty sure its illegal to intervene....roo's die of shock fairly quickly if that makes you feel a bit better
Fair enough

Apparently it's only a grand to murder 100 odd eagles so i couldn't really care if I copped a fine for humanely euthanising a dying animal thats in obvious agony. My own conscience would be better off for it

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 am

Hearing ya Kimtown, I always feel a bit conflicted being a fisho, but an animal lover at the same time, (I had a fun jog back down dunns creek road 2 weeks ago to rescue a crimson rosella sitting in the middle of the road, with cars going over the top of it lol).
Back to the point, last summer, I was driving back up the prom, when I saw a bloke checking out a deer that had been hit by a car.
I stopped to assist, and then lent the guy a hammer to humanely dispatch the deer. I think far better do this, than leave the poor bugger in agony, so carry a hammer with you.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”