New toy

Growlermz

New toy

Post by Growlermz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 am

I'm considering upgrading my tinny when I get back from new Zealand in about 2 months time. I have been looking at the Quintrex 420 Renegade with side console 40Hp.
This will be predominantly used in fresh water but will do the very occasional salt water when we visit the partners father.

Can any one give me any opinions on how these boats are?

Thanks in advance

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: New toy

Post by ducky » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Hey mate. That's the boat that started my search in getting a boat. It has everything I wanted. However I came to the conclusion that you didn't get enough for your money. By the time you got on the water with a side console and a 40hp 4 stroke you were out of pocket $20k for a relatively crappy tin hull. I think there's better options out there.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Look at topenders

There as tough as nails and can go anywhere from lake eldion to western port

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks Ducky, What's relatively crappy about the tin hull on the renegades?
I'm after an aluminum boat so I don't have to concern myself with the odd scratch here and there, fishing predominately rivers (Murray & Goulburn) I need something that can take a little beating. If this is not the better option what would your suggestion be for a boat within the 20K price tag that I will be able to use in rivers as well as the very occasional salt fishing?

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 am

barra mick wrote:Look at topenders

Bm

This is the same boat you have isn't it? what size motor is on the back of yours?

Ozzy

Post by Ozzy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am

Don't discount Polycraft boats if you want something that you can use in the rivers or the ocean , and even better quiet ride unsinkable , bash it around no dramas with corrosion etc etc and well under your price range

Something along this line

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... x=6&eapi=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-s ... x=3&eapi=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the 4.1 and honestly I am very sorry I got rid of it , my mate still has it and loves the thing

Ozzy

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:24 am

Growlermz wrote:
barra mick wrote:Look at topenders

Bm
This is the same boat you have isn't it? what size motor is on the back of yours?
Yes it is.i have a 60 hp yam on the back.
They travel up the rivers easy and you can bash it around a fair bit and dont have to worry abt it.

There very stable to stand on the deck and cast also.they have plenty of room for camping gear ...I can live in mine for weeks at a time.on long trips fishing.

If its loaded up with two blokes and gear on long trips I get 120 km doing 50km per hour from 40 liters....if I went fishing to eldion for the weekend I would nt even use 20 liters.

hope this helps...alot off boats to choose from!!!

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:23 pm

definitely the polycraft if you want bullet proof

been plenty of reports lately about cracks etc in the new quinnies. they are a bit thinner than other hullson the market. the design is great apparently but the thickness of the hulls leaves a bit to be desired.

the little boat I just bought I was doing a shite load of research on. I wanted a haines 445 or a flop of one. I ended up with a formula 15. Before that I had priced up a hull built brand new (jackaroo 445) with a 20 year warranty for 8k, a trailer for $3k, a motor was from $8-14k installed (60hp 2st merc- 90hp 4st suzi) centre console and flowcoat $2k = ~$22k give or take as a basic package.

I had priced up a shite load of other extras including killtanks, underfloor fuel tank. electric mounts and casting decks with rod lockers etc. was going to pump the price out to over $30k which I ended up deciding was too much. especially when cobby pointed out the used boat I eventually bought. cheers cobby haha

but I can tell you that this particular hull will serve you a lot better and longer than a tin quintrex. a 20 year hull warranty is nothing to sneeze at. You'd have to decide if a 900kg package is too big for what you want.

Return to “Boating”