single hull Vs twin hull Vs Tri hull

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:46 pm

hi
just been looking at boats and just thought i would see what you guys think about the different hulls

what do you guys think?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: single hull Vs twin hull Vs Tri hull

Post by bowl » Sat May 24, 2014 8:57 pm

BLACKDOG-CAT-5.5SS-CUDDY.jpg
BLACKDOG-CAT-5.5SS-CUDDY.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
blackdog-cat-55ss-cabin.jpg
blackdog-cat-55ss-cabin.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
No idea mate but i do like NZ made boats.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat May 24, 2014 9:24 pm

My honest opinion is that a single hull boat is probably the best option in your price range. If I was spending mega dollars I'd look at the big cats but there's not much around that's any good in your price range in a twin hull, I did see a good markham dominator with modern twin 70 yammys go for about $17k last year but that was probably the exception not the rule, they aren't a common boat. The jury is also out if they are any good in a decent sea anyway.

I also think you should pick about 5 good hulls that meet your criteria as your starting point and go from there.You aren't helping yourself by asking 4 million questions about every boat the comes up for sale. Work out what you want, keep looking and jump on a good one when it comes up. You've got your current boat to meet any fishing itches you have short of major offshore work.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 am

I am not a fan of twin hull boats I don't like the way they lean out of a turn, I have never been in a tri hull but have only heard good things about the hydrofield tri hulls

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 pm

They can lean in if you want them to.

Cat softest fastest boat in almost all conditions. Very high inital stability.

Issues, mist and tunnel slap at trolling speed. Newer cats often has a mini hull in he tunnel to stop the tunnel slap at trolling speed.

Tri hull stupidly high on trailer, makes getting in an out a pain, loading gear a pain tow poorly and storage is an issue but great on the water.

Ducky the dominators also called rollinators are not sought after as there is a fairly decent evendence they tend to roll over.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 25, 2014 5:53 pm

I drive boats for work and play. Many different types from tinnies to displacement hulls and fast cats. Cats are great in fact fantastic, until you get to sea conditions that mean you have to slow down or risk hurting the people on board. At slow speed in rough conditions they turn into complete dogs. If you intend to be out in anything up to 25knts of wind and open sea then they are hard to beat. If you are out in a gale give me a mono hull anytime.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Yakdoc

Post by Yakdoc » Sun May 25, 2014 9:10 pm

got a cat, it doesn't lean at all and is awesome on the water, wet boat slow unles I put the bow up with the tilt

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 pm

I think a lot of the comments on the three different hulls are from what people "heard someone say"
ive been fortunate to have been in all three and each has its merits.
as someone already mentioned, in such conditions where a cat cant plane and u have to slow down, they can be messy, the development of modern cats is such that correctly driven, this does not occur. the best ive riden in, was a hydro tri hull, would be the softest ride ive experienced in a boat, fantastic stability and less of a concern or easier than a cat to master it. but I don't doubt the pedigree or performance of a cat, I found head on in the big stuff, you had to approach on an angle otherwise known as walking the cat from one spontoon then to the other, failing to do this and going direct into the big stuff, can get messy. the tri hull because of there design seems to float over ! hard to describe. probably the best hull would be a mono in those heavy conditions, designed to cut thru the on coming swell/waves. I think the 1970 cats leant a tad when turning, but that's not even discussed now, its just a sensation you get when turning, has no bearing at all on performance, and getting mist or occasionally wet, just buy some clears ! ive been in some pretty wet mono's.
a cat would get my vote if I had a spare 70 k, its overall performance in my opinion pips the other two, but everyone to there own, currently I have a mono hull, but the older I get, and the sorer my back gets, im pickin i'll eventually get that cat.
moral of the story, pick what type of hull you want, within your budget that you have.
all three hulls have come a long way and will perform the job you buy it for
colin

Return to “Boating”