Failing evinrude etec

extreme mick

Re: Failing evinrude etec

Post by extreme mick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I would have thought they would have tested these by now! When you pay $45,000 for a new boat, these problems tend to become very annoying, wouldn't you think?

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

extreme mick wrote:Thanks for that mate, they have changed the prop, cleaned injectors,replaced fuel pump replaced several sensors on engine,new sender in fuel tank,re-mapped the computer. I'm gonna test it tomorrow. Fingers crossed she's all good! Cheers for the feedback, I'll let yas know tomorrow! Yeeeehaaaaa!
Unfortunetly where ever you got it from is a dealer for etec"I assume" so you are sort off stuck there til it gets sorted...... well under warranty anyway.....another thing you can do if you keep getting stuffed around is contact etec direct and explain what has happened and it seems your getting no where, they will often make sure it will get rectifed or send you to another dealer if it is not caused by installation but mechanical issue....

If all else fails, tell them it is no excuse..... new boat should be "water tested" not just tank tested...... especially with problems....
the list you have said "well they said" they done is all over the joint...... sender in tank??????WTF..... that has nothing to do with the problem that is happening.... replaced fuel pump???? why? Fuel pump is over a $1000 dollars and I highly doubt it was changed just on a wim that it might solve the problem..... did they do a fuel pressure test and it failed???? hence why they changed a fuel pump?
Same goes for cleaning injectors, bet it was a bottle treatment mixed with fuel, NOT injector out and cleaned, takes ages and cost heaps to do that.....

Keep Blaming fuel???? well maybe it is? but very easy to eliminate.... get a portable tank, run it direct to your motor with fresh fuel.... if she runs like a dream than it was your fuel? But I am sure they already did this?

re-map computer? Why? Is it not a new motor? So it would off had the latest software on it anyway....ask for print out off computer report, before and after.....bet you it is the same, also ask to see history on their laptop, bet you nothing was done like it was said, it records all faults and remedies that they have done or tried.....hint hint....

Replaced sensors? HMMM.... which ones and why?
ontop off that changing props when the motor aint even running constant yet???? seriously sounds like they are all over the joint in thought at the moment....

Working on it....hmmmmm
Sorry not good enough.... I would demand, that before they call and say come get the boat again, that it be water tested! Not just run in their tank at the back off the shop with the attitude that she is all good now..... they have let that boat out twice without a water test, or they would off known that the problem still exist......

Sorry for my rant but it really bugs me hearing stories like this, poor joe blow has bought a brand new setup, and than after paying hard earned dollars is now getting the run around, its cause off this or that...... just fix it.....no excuse!
Yes stuff happens and sometimes needs to be rectified...... which it sounded like that was the plan, but to than let the boat out a second time with no fix, just a list off what we tried to do to fix but it still didnt fix it, but hey we are working on it, let us rethink again..... sorry time for some demands!
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey dr drift, thanks heaps for your info, I clearly do not have enough knowledge of these engines and maybe the dealer can see this which is why I could be getting the run-around. I noticed the profile photo you have, is that a tournament boat? I bought the 1750 tournament half cabin. I love the boat but I can't use it. Dammit! Now I know how much things like the fuel pump are so expensive, I am very sure they have not replaced it, the dealer was trying to charge me $700 for cleaning the tank, fuel filters and injectors. Glad I didn't pay it, seems that would have been a waste for sure. It is so strange coz the boat was going fine until I took it back to them to replace the tilt trim coz it was leaking. I had half a tank of fuel when I dropped it off and the boat had performed perfectly for the first half of the tank. When I got it back after tilt trim was replaced it has not run properly. I asked them if they had any problems while replacing the tilt trim, they denied any issues, they keep saying the fuel was very suspect. Hmmm, thanks again mate for your info. I'll keep ya up to date with it. Cheers

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:33 pm

extreme mick wrote:Hey dr drift, thanks heaps for your info, I clearly do not have enough knowledge of these engines and maybe the dealer can see this which is why I could be getting the run-around. I noticed the profile photo you have, is that a tournament boat? I bought the 1750 tournament half cabin. I love the boat but I can't use it. Dammit! Now I know how much things like the fuel pump are so expensive, I am very sure they have not replaced it, the dealer was trying to charge me $700 for cleaning the tank, fuel filters and injectors. Glad I didn't pay it, seems that would have been a waste for sure. It is so strange coz the boat was going fine until I took it back to them to replace the tilt trim coz it was leaking. I had half a tank of fuel when I dropped it off and the boat had performed perfectly for the first half of the tank. When I got it back after tilt trim was replaced it has not run properly. I asked them if they had any problems while replacing the tilt trim, they denied any issues, they keep saying the fuel was very suspect. Hmmm, thanks again mate for your info. I'll keep ya up to date with it. Cheers

I have a 680 Patriot with twin etecs.....
Hate stories like this, than everyone just jumps on the band wagon and bags etecs..... Ive had afew little hick ups in 3 years but on a whole nothing major....

Yours sounds alittle strange.... If you have the boat, than get a portable 25ltr tank, fill with fresh fuel and run the motor and see if that rectifies the problem..... if it doesnt make the problem go away at least you have the basic "bad fuel" out off the picture for sure....

If they have the boat, than dont fall for any you got to pay for this or that! From your statement it is a brand new boat package..... so it is still under full warranty! So they are liable to fix it....even if they diagnose it wrongly and it cost them money..... not your problem!

If you want more info PM me......
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 pm

i have also had problems with an etec motor.

we seem to be running very heavy on oil. 8 litres of oil in roughly 12 trips. seems excessive to me. the trips have no more than 3 hours travel time each. the back of the white motor now has a strange black filiment where the smoke blows all the way down to the fins of the motor. we havnt wiped these off when cleaning the boat (brand new) incase of warranty issues.

we were assured by the retailer that after the first oil change the computer in the engine would reconfigure and use less oil. that hastnt happened and as the oil is about 75 smackers for 4 litres Im hoping this isnt a permanant issue...

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey bud, I was told the etecs double-inject oil for the first six hours of running time and should automatically go to normal after six hours, maybe it is still double-injecting. I would take it back to the dealer and ask for aprint out of the results when it is hooked up to a computer and run, it should show if the double-injection has stopped or not. Cool bud. Good luck

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:48 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:i have also had problems with an etec motor.

we seem to be running very heavy on oil. 8 litres of oil in roughly 12 trips. seems excessive to me. the trips have no more than 3 hours travel time each. the back of the white motor now has a strange black filiment where the smoke blows all the way down to the fins of the motor. we havnt wiped these off when cleaning the boat (brand new) incase of warranty issues.

we were assured by the retailer that after the first oil change the computer in the engine would reconfigure and use less oil. that hastnt happened and as the oil is about 75 smackers for 4 litres Im hoping this isnt a permanant issue...
yep Extreme Mick is correct...
When new they are programmed to run double oil....and at your first service it is programmed to run back to normal. Your service centre will be able to do this once they hook up the computer. and will be able to set a few other things whislt they are at it.... Also as you clock up a few more hours she will start to use less and less oil.... Unfortunetly the black smoke mark that the motor is leaving out the exhaust is something your going to have to live with... ALL motors will do this! Just that etecs are white hence you can see it more.... Just give it a wipe with mr sheen after every trip and she will stay clean and easy to keep that way....let it build up and it gets alittle hard to keep it white....LOL
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Return to “Boating”