Failing evinrude etec

extreme mick

Failing evinrude etec

Post by extreme mick » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:27 pm

G'day all, I bought a brand new tournament with brand new etec 90hp 10 weeks ago. The fuel gauge flicks back and forth erratically, taco is 400 rpm out of sync to the engine and worst of all it keeps losing all power at approx 5200 rpm and then takes off again, losses power and takes off again and so on. This happens on its own. Has this happened to you, any ideas or suggestions. I took it back to the shop and I feel I might be getting the run-around. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers all

Fish-Hunter

Re: Failing evinrude etec

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:27 pm

In the 80's i had a very old Evinrude 40hp Big Twin fitted to my old Swiftcraft & it used drop out its power & then just go again continually "similar to your problems" , i had the then points & condensor replaced & it went ok till another problem come along . you should demand under warranty the outboard gets fixed or replaced , i never purchased another Evinrude again & only stuck with Yamaha outboard's since & never exprienced another outboard problem again .

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks heaps mate, the boat joint keep blaming fuel. I told them I won't accept fuel as an excuse! They're apparently fixing it at the moment. Appreciate your feed back. I'll let ya know once I get it back. Cheers

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Maybe it is fuel ? but it can also be electrical or injection problems etc etc etc .. I hope it gets sorted out sooner than later , good luck mate . ;)

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

extreme mick wrote:engine and worst of all it keeps losing all power at approx 5200 rpm and then takes off again, losses power and takes off again and so on. This happens on its own. Has this happened to you, any ideas or suggestions. I took it back to the shop and I feel I might be getting the run-around. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers all
It is a fuel problem, there is either an air leak getting into the system or the carbies have sediment, float valve stuck, partially blocked needle jet or injector.

Basically the symptom that you describe is that of intermittent fuel starvation.

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for that mate, they have changed the prop, cleaned injectors,replaced fuel pump replaced several sensors on engine,new sender in fuel tank,re-mapped the computer. I'm gonna test it tomorrow. Fingers crossed she's all good! Cheers for the feedback, I'll let yas know tomorrow! Yeeeehaaaaa!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

^^
"WOW" , they certainly changed alot of items & to think they 1st told you its your fuel smh . Good luck & i hope its all sorted now , happy boating mate . :)

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks maker, funny isn't it, I'll let ya know tomorrow how she goes. Cheers mate

extreme mick

Post by extreme mick » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

G'day guys, well I took her out this arvo.... Still no good, I am very disappointed, same problem exists and now it is really slow out the whole(probably coz they put a bigger prop on)! Hmmmm what to do, I took it straight back and they said they will continue to search for the problem,the mechanic is still blaming the fuel causing all the problems. How can this be when the boat functioned perfectly well on the first half of the very same tank of fuel it failed on??? I am not impressed! :help:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

extreme mick wrote:G'day guys, well I took her out this arvo.... Still no good, I am very disappointed, same problem exists and now it is really slow out the whole(probably coz they put a bigger prop on)! Hmmmm what to do, I took it straight back and they said they will continue to search for the problem,the mechanic is still blaming the fuel causing all the problems. How can this be when the boat functioned perfectly well on the first half of the very same tank of fuel it failed on??? I am not impressed! :help:
Could be a ignition coil, power pack, lead. These problems tend to show up when things get a bit warm.

Return to “Boating”