Project: Savage Avalon

TONKA

Re: Project: Savage Avalon

Post by TONKA » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 pm

davek wrote: The 2nd thing is they cost you more than you think :shocker: ;) cheers davo
funny that. i got it for $1000 but once you start messing with it it starts to add up quick. it only owes me $1500 right now so im happy with that.

hornet wrote:Tonka I would seriously give that trailer a look over, the tow hitch, the frame, how rusted the springs are, replacement springs are cheap, also replace the bearings and cones before re-packing them, and it wouldn't hurt to replace the trailer wiring and lights, nothing worse than hurtling down the high way and seeing your trailer wheel over take you ... :thumbsup:
the trailers good. its galvanized, theres no rust in it at all, springs have been replaced and the hitch has too. it does need new lights though and i do plan to check the bearings although i towed it 4 hours home on the highway and they didnt heat up or anything.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Good luck mate! Looks like a fun little project. Don't let anths comments turn you off. He has an opinion and seems to voice them in the most negative way possible. I think he is actually a good bloke and trying to help, so just don't take it too personally.

Looks like you could have a lot of fun for not a lot of dollars in that rig, and if you decided to give a fresh coat of white paint it would come up a million bucks, but that might defeat the purpose of a cheap build.

Keep the updates coming though, I want to see the end result!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:49 pm

If you are going to replace your lights do it once fit led lights the ones that are individually wired that join at the plug no joins that go under water. Cost about $100 but trust me in the long term they are worth it.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Look forward to seeing more pics as you progress through your fit out :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm

hornet wrote:Tonka I would seriously give that trailer a look over, the tow hitch, the frame, how rusted the springs are, replacement springs are cheap, also replace the bearings and cones before re-packing them, and it wouldn't hurt to replace the trailer wiring and lights, nothing worse than hurtling down the high way and seeing your trailer wheel over take you ... :thumbsup:
yep that's a disappointing thing....when the wheel goes past you that's abt it for fishing for the day

bm :(
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Scraglor wrote:
Looks like you could have a lot of fun for not a lot of dollars in that rig, and if you decided to give a fresh coat of white paint it would come up a million bucks, but that might defeat the purpose of a cheap build.

yeah its definitely a budget boat. i already had a good outboard so just needed a decent hull and trailer then i'll do a budget fit out with the rest of the stuff

TONKA

Post by TONKA » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 am

ok so ive got a couple of questions:

- nav lights. i understand that they must be displayed at night but if im out during the day do i have to legally still have them on my boat?
- the battery. i have two good places for it, one up front and one down back. which is better?
- can old foggy perspex windows be "rejuvenated"?
- do most of you guys have bilge pumps?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:16 pm

On my tinny i have no lights on it for day use n no bilge pump
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Very nice Lil project mate
I'm very keen to see how you go with this. I will eventually get a small boat for a bit of fishing in calm days and this looks like a winner
Does anyone here know how stable these things can be.
Cheers

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Ps for the perspex try some plastic polish that you can get from most automobile shops

Return to “Boating”