outboard engine size

Nigz

outboard engine size

Post by Nigz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:29 am

i have a 15ft half cabin fishing boat rated max 90 hp. what would be the safest engine for this boat fishing the andersons inlet victoria australia would a 40 hp cut it? thanks

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Rhe: outboard engine size

Post by bowl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:53 am

What make of boat is it?
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: outboard engine size

Post by scott__henning » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:17 am

Nigz wrote:i have a 15ft half cabin fishing boat rated max 90 hp. what would be the safest engine for this boat fishing the andersons inlet victoria australia would a 40 hp cut it? thanks
depends on hull type (aluminium or fibreglass), motor type (2 stroke? 4 stroke?) and even the age of the motor can play a part. a 40hp outboard will push it along, only if your hull is too heavy your outboard is not going to have a long life!

more info would be helpful

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Short answer yes it will. Long answer it will be working its guts out to push the weight and you be better suited to 70hp or so.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Many years ago I had a 16ft half cabin with a mariner 60 hp two stroke on 95% of the time this was ok only occasionally when it got really rough was it inadequate you would feel yourself sliding back down the wave and had to apply full throttle to make the boat move sometimes not enough available. I am a firm believer in having close to the maximum rated for the boat you don't have to use it all the engine will not work as hard. Remember it only goes as hard as you push up the throttle

Huntnfish

Post by Huntnfish » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Nude up wrote:Many years ago I had a 16ft half cabin with a mariner 60 hp two stroke on 95% of the time this was ok only occasionally when it got really rough was it inadequate you would feel yourself sliding back down the wave and had to apply full throttle to make the boat move sometimes not enough available. I am a firm believer in having close to the maximum rated for the boat you don't have to use it all the engine will not work as hard. Remember it only goes as hard as you push up the throttle
I agree :thumbsup: I would go a minimum 75hp if it's rated to 90

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:51 pm

Like most things comes budget, say u had enough $$ for brand new 50hp but if you wanted 70 or 80 you would need to get a loan.or take a risk n get secondhand motor.
I see a lot of older boats with smaller brand newish engines and the owners r a bit older in age and not in a mad rush like the young fellas are to get to the fishing spot.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:43 pm

i have a 17foot quintrex with caddy cab with a 85 yamaha 2 stroke
boat and motor about 700kg

today with a following sea wasnt enough power to get out of the gutters.
on a flat sea i can do about 28 knots pushing 5500 revs (thats maxed revs)
but average 1.5lt to 2 lt per km

if you have a glass boat i wouldnt go below a 85hp 2 stroke
dont know the difference between a 85hp 2 stroke and a 85hp 4 stroke, maybe the other guys will know sorry

thats my thoughts anyways
frozen pod is the guy to ask on this, he knows lots about boat motors

Nigz

Post by Nigz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your input after a hasty decision and very skimpy budget i have settled on a merc 40 hp 2 stroke an oldy but a goody speed is definitely not wanted just reliability to get me to the spot and back again so we will see how it goes when we get it on the water the boat is a 15ft fibreglass stejcraft 77 model boat and motor. Cheers

gecko61

Post by gecko61 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 pm

im a firm believer that you cannot have too much hp and have always loaded my transom to the max. the advantages are you only have to run it at 50-60% to get it to plain nicely, saving fuel,if you put extra people on board you want bog down but most importantly if you get caught out in a storm or wind change, you have ample power to get back quick and big following seas wont bog you down and you can just power out of the trough. cheers

Return to “Boating”