poly airbags

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

poly airbags

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Anybody else use polyairbags when towing, I fitted a pair to the rear suspension of my prado and love them they keep the car 2" higher with the boat on the back, when not towing lower the air pressure to 5psi and they keep the nice soft ride and reduce body role.i fitted them myself easy job about 1 hours work.
My mate towed my boat back from bermie (due to my busted wrist) he also has a prado he tows a 6700 commander he was impressed with them

drew 2

Re: poly airbags

Post by drew 2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm

They've been known to cause bending of the rear chassis rail on dual cab & tray 4x4 utes as well as cause problem's with back door's on wagon's closing properly. They do put a lot of load on a small area when towing a heavy load on rough roads.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Ive got them in my landcrusier.

there very good imo

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Fitted plenty of them, never on my own cars tho so never used them in anger. Used CORRECTLY they are a good thing, most people that have them for heavy towing swear by them, and they are good for leveling out loaded suspension making towing safer....thousands of grey nomads can't be wrong :icon_lolz:
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 pm

The guys that tow caravans at work swear by them I dont think they will bend the chassis on my prado but a normal monocoque family wagon yes.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:43 pm

They don't compare to better springs and shocks IMO.

I have seen a few dual cabs with bent chassis due to air bags, hilux, tridents, navaras ect.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:36 pm

The only problem with fitting heavy duty springs is you only tow once a week who wants their teeth rattling every day shocks will not do anything they dampen the coil spring rebound not take any weight, pardon my ignorance but if the polyair bag is inside the coil spring assisting it putting heavier duty springs in has the same footprint. I can see how if you have a leaf sprung rear end which spreads the weight over two points and now you concentrate all the load in one spot it would cause problems, I have searched the internet and couldn't find any problems with coil sprung rear ends even on prado point.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Good springs and good shocks will ride better (smoother) than factory whilst also towing better.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 am

I fitted some to our Kia Grand Carnival and it helps towing our caravan that weighs around 1,5 tonnes.
I'm not an expert, but with the car being front wheel drive - Yeah I know towing + Front wheel drive = :?: :?: (anyway it's a very Looong story), Suffice to say using them has really helped the ride, handling etc.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Some FWD can tow ok.

Yes air bags can help but as per my first post they don't compare to good springs and good shocks.

They have caused chassi failures and are often refereed to as a band aid solution. Our aftermarket automotive industry is a strange beast, there is a slow movement to doing the job right instead of saving a few bucks using bags.

Return to “Boating”