Jarvis watersnake repair

Birdman

Jarvis watersnake repair

Post by Birdman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Been having issues with me elec motor on and off for a while, would work fine for a bit then the motor would die almost as thought had a flat battery, but then would work again no worries. Also the rotate would come and go, or when you turned, the motor would die, or no turn unless motor at slow speed, it really was haywire. Since the motor came with the boat and no history on previous repairs or age,I had pretty much written it off, and was about to look at a new one. Anyway, got bored today and pulled apart the power head, had checked the circuit board, tilt switch and foot control, all were ok. When I removed the front housing off the power head my problem was obvious, the 4 wires that control the variable speed and turn servo had been rubbing on the stator. 1 wire completely cut the others not far behind. Cut and resoldered the wires, insulated with shrink sleeve re routed away from the spinning bits and reassembled. Also tied the wires at the top of the stalk to stop them from working loose again. Works as good as new now. A pretty easy repair if time is taken to reseal the motor unit correctly, ie replace the o rings before refit.
Attachments
image.jpg
My hobbies are fishing and golf, I guess I just like frustration..

Return to “Boating”