New savage 640 with merc verado or new stejcraft neverdo

Leden

New savage 640 with merc verado or new stejcraft neverdo

Post by Leden » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:59 am

Hi guys I really need help with buying a new boat I want something for tuna in Portland
And these are the two boats I'm looking at the stejcraft 650c nevardo with 150 merc 4 stroke
Or savage 640 with a 200 mere verado 4stroke which boat would be better all rounder

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: New savage 640 with merc verado or new stejcraft neverdo

Post by frozenpod » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:08 am

Stejcraft I have heard bad things about such as very poor quality cracking fiberglass ect.

I believe they are a very light and cheap boat out of china. Unlikely to have sufficient power with a 150hp motor.

Savage 640 I haven't heard of but I did read a review of a new 645. Probably made in china as well, from memory it was a bit light but the review was overall positive. How will they stand the test of time....

I would be looking at second hand as there are plenty of quality well built proven second hand boats that offer much better value for money.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Dont buy Chinese made fibreglass boats, buy a Aussie built boat thats made to last.

Haines Hunter make great Aussie built boats, made here in Victoria. The 585 R, 600R, 650R etc will serve you very well.

http://www.haineshunter.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top pic 650R, Bottom pic 600R -

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 pm

I don't know much about boats but its dissapointing to know that even brand name boats are made in China. That really sux
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Leden

Post by Leden » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 am

The hains hunter i did look at but the price is through the roof I'm
Looking at spending about 60 I want to b able to use it for tuna so you guys would reckon dw about the other two even tho they come with 7 years hull warrenty
What would u guys recommend I prefer a half cab and one that is stable on water I've been told hains is very choppy at rest

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:30 am

Although I've never been out on the 640C, from my experiences with other models (particularly the Mako 55) I would definitely be leaning towards the savage. One of the greatest luxuries (perhaps essentials) for a gamefishing boat is deck space and savage are one of the best at maximising the space for a given boat length. Haines Hunter in comparison are almost laughable with the lack of deck space they have. There's nothing worse than having no room to move when there's a triple hookup and three anglers trying to fight fish around the boat.

Other boats that are designed well in this respect would be an evolution and a barcrusher, although their other name 'bone crusher' is pretty deserving once you've been out any decent chop with these boats. The polycraft may also be worth a look, but they tend to be a bit heavy and sluggish which is good for comfort through choppy conditions, but not so good for get up and go.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 am

ocean master boats built in victoria , bass straight boats
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:31 am

yellowfin boats in price range http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... x=9&eapi=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... =12&eapi=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Leden

Post by Leden » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 am

The yellow fin is very nice I like it how does it handle the second one and how will it go for Portland

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:53 pm

If you had to pick between those two then I would go the savage as the stejcraft is proven crap.

With 60k IMO buying new will most likely only lead to disapointment.

Look at the second hand market. Lots of great 6.5m boats with little use at that price.

Return to “Boating”