Problem with boat

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Problem with boat

Post by barra mick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Joker91 wrote:When I usually drive the motor is fully down and when waves are big it tends to happen a lot but even over just average ones it still occurs.

So how do you know how to adjust the trim when your driving, I mean at what level
what you need to do mate is just practise a bit

head out by yourself and adjust it to you get it right

after a coulple of hrs u will have the hang of it...im hoping your engine is mounted correctly though...have you just bought the boat ?

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm

If your motor is trimmed all the way in I would expect the boat to roll to one side when you apply power . most boats dont like the leg trimmed all the way in.I have a yamaha which the tilt has two speeds all the time. slow in the trim range then it speeds up outside that band.in the trim range normally I am about 3/4 out for cruise when it chops up I trim it in a bit to keep the nose of the boat cutting through the waves.
I believe the mercs trim range speed is dependant on the revs of the engine over 2000rpm and in the trim range then it works half speed I take it you have a trim gauge as part of your engine instuments whatever the increments are I would start 3/4 of the way out on a calm day and see how you go.
I personally think that if your boat likes the leg trimmed all the way in you should take it to a merc dealer and let them have a look at the installation the height must be wrong or the prop is incorrect for that engine

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:12 am

Ok i see. Well I'll try next time I go out to trim te motor up Abit and see how it goes.

We hav had the boat for awhile but it's me and my old man pretty much just trying to learn how the whole thing works as we are both new to it

Thanks a lot

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

Hello again. I went out fishing Saturday to test the boat and have a bit of fish with a few mates and it was ok. I adjusted the tilt and the reving out problem was not occurring but I need some options on a new problem now.

When I put the boat in neautral it cuts out and the engine turns off. By if I turn it on then put it in shift and start driving it's perfectly fine.
And the other problem is that my fuse in the motor blows very now and then. It's usually happening when I use the tilt or turn the boat off and later when I'm ready to leave I turn the battery on and it's blown.

What puzzles me is that at home when I use the muffs at home it runs perfect. Any ideas

Thanks a lot

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm

When was the last time your engine had a service .could be a simple problem like your idle speed is to low or caby problem sucking air or low speed jet blocked multiple defects cause the engine to stall at idle but run at higher speeds, as for blowing the fuse 1st thing to check is it the right rated fuse for that location. If it is the correct fuse and it normally happens when using the tilt trim something is causing the higher current draw is the tilting action of the motor seized causing the elec motor to work harder a bad connection will cause high resistance or the elec motor is on the way out.
If you are handy on the tools and are confident have a go yourself otherwise take it and have it looked at by a marine mech.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Fuse blowing could also be a wiring problem ie short circuit as the motor moves, wiring on the older merc was horrendous.

Engine stalling requires more info but it could be tune related difference between hot and cold.

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Nude up wrote:When was the last time your engine had a service .could be a simple problem like your idle speed is to low or caby problem sucking air or low speed jet blocked multiple defects cause the engine to stall at idle but run at higher speeds, as for blowing the fuse 1st thing to check is it the right rated fuse for that location. If it is the correct fuse and it normally happens when using the tilt trim something is causing the higher current draw is the tilting action of the motor seized causing the elec motor to work harder a bad connection will cause high resistance or the elec motor is on the way out.
If you are handy on the tools and are confident have a go yourself otherwise take it and have it looked at by a marine mech.

What you mean by right rated fuse for that location? Do you mean the amps of the fuse ?

Also I got it serviced around four-six months ago. The mechanic charged us over $900 for changing a couple of things and the boats running the same :@

Can any one reccomdnd a good honest mechanic who is not to pricey. I really want some trust worthy to have an over all look over the motor and tell us if it's worth keeping and fixing or has it reached it's end

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Where are you located?

Joker91

Post by Joker91 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:01 pm

frozenpod wrote:Where are you located?
In the western suburbs

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes joker91 the amp rating of the fuse just in case some one has put one that is lower than recomended.was the engine stalling before you had it serviced. I would not know a good mercury bloke I have only ever had yamaha's and I have done most of the work myself then used port phillip boating centre for things I couldnt do.

Return to “Boating”