Advice on 2002 Grand Jeep Cherokee...

Dr Drift

Advice on 2002 Grand Jeep Cherokee...

Post by Dr Drift » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Ok I have been offered a 2002 grand jeep cherokee cheap... 4.7V8 on some sort off special gas system(trying to find out more info but guy reckons system alone is worth $5g).... motor has just been rebuilt(reconditoned with new pistons, bearing etc etc).by family mechanic so no short cuts..... Full auto with full house elecs....

My question is how do they tow? The guy offering it to me is a close family friend which i call uncle, so he said take the car for a week and if you like take it, if not no drama as someone else has already made an offer higher than what he originally offered it to me...but he giving me first dibs...

Only problem is it doesnt have a tow bar, so if i really want to find out how it tows i have to buy a tow bar but then if i dont like it I bought a tow bar for nothing..lol

I searched the net and they some sites say it towing capacity is 3ton but some places say 3.5ton????
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

fido11

Re: Advice on 2002 Grand Jeep Cherokee...

Post by fido11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:42 pm

call up jeep dealer to find out. they'll be able to check on their system.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 pm

hay doc.

i kinda had the same problem when i was thinking of using my mitsubishi evo 8 to tow aswell lol ( but sold the evo for the bike :P )
some guys said that usually to be safe you can tow half the weight of the car .. but for bigger cars like pick ups or 4x4 they can take a much more heavier toll on them..

I did a quick search around and the cherokee tow braking is about 2,000-2,500kg so yeah like fido11 said you could call them about it..
And if its got no tow bar,.. could always look at a forums or wreckers or even order in a custom tow hitch either ebay or ARB if you got the $$ :P
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 pm

thanks fido11
and vinhii.
found out the cherokee is 2.5ton
the grand cherokee is dependant on year and i think the year i looking at is 3.4ton braked and others are 3.5ton braked...
quite surprised with such a small chassis...
But seems alot dont like them....they guzzle and they cost an arm and a leg to maintain, supposedly....

that said, it going really cheap as a fav sort off thing so not sure if i gonna get it...maybe get it as a daily for the missus if towing is no good, though in americain sites they tow big caravans no dramas and love the grand cherokee and small following in australia but average joe dont like them so not sure if its like the etec thing...my mates mate had one....
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:36 pm

ohhhhh. how deep is your pocket? A friend of mine bought this model as well, brand new. He sold it within 6 months from purchase date. He has lead feet and accelerates too much but he told me his full tank cant get him 400km with only him inside with no load. Not sure if this is true but I'll take his word on it. He loves muscle cars and he now drives a V8 sedan.

Take it for a spin. Fill her up, reset the odometer, drive a hundred or two clicks then fill her up again. Find out how many drums it will take to top up the tank. :grin: Add 30% for added load and towing consumption and you will have some idea how much it will cost you per 100Km while towing tub...plus passengers.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

borntofish

Post by borntofish » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:58 am

They are costly cars to maintain, my old boss had the v8 jeep. at the time i had a v8 vs ute, well i got twice as far on a tank of fuel than they did, and towing the horse float around the country side i think he needed a second job to pay for the fuel!! any imported vehicle is going to be real expensive to maintain. if you look on ebay, carpoint etc you cant give them away!! nice to drive, but thats it!!
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:39 am

Dr Drift wrote: and vinhii.
found out the cherokee is 2.5ton
the grand cherokee is dependant on year and i think the year i looking at is 3.4ton braked and others are 3.5ton braked...
quite surprised with such a small chassis...
yeah so i was bout right .. as the other guys said .. sounds like it chews petrol lol.. i rkn for that kinda money you paying.. you can prob get a nice 4x4 surf runner or something that prob can do the job.. then again thats up to you :P

My mates dad.. he used to tow his 7.5m boat with a 1995 toyota celica LOL! and it did the job perfect!

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Vinhii,

I got a hilux desiel already and its only 2ton towing or 1.8ton something like that.... surf is the same as the hilux maybe even worse... id rather the grand over a surf anyday to be honest...

anyway taking the car for a week....ill see how she does...

7.5m with a celica???? I got to see that... must off been some sort off tiny even than i cant see it...lol
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Dr Drift wrote:Vinhii,

I got a hilux desiel already and its only 2ton towing or 1.8ton something like that.... surf is the same as the hilux maybe even worse... id rather the grand over a surf anyday to be honest...

anyway taking the car for a week....ill see how she does...

7.5m with a celica???? I got to see that... must off been some sort off tiny even than i cant see it...lol
oh nice!! id def keep the hilux then :P what year is your lux?

haha yeah but unfortunately the lil celica has seen its last days lol.. may it R.I.P lil gun of a car haha

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:35 am

I think the lux is a 95 desiel turbo...
up for sale if anyone wants a good bush basher, hunting car...no good for towing though IMO.. unless you got a small boat... Jacked up suspension extra....
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Return to “Boating”