Navigation Lights - What to do

georged2

Navigation Lights - What to do

Post by georged2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 am

Hi All,

Silly season is just around the corner, I just wanted to make sure boat people are doing the right thing with regards to their Navigation Lights. Many captains are unaware what the rules are. So here it is in simple form.

Powerboats under way, or when drifting (under way but not making way)
Vessels under 12 m in length must show the following lights
a) sidelights, masthead lights and a stern light;
or
b) sidelights and an all round white light
So that means, turn all your lights on and not just your side lights.

Recreational vessels at anchor
All recreational vessels must show an all-round white light while at anchor.

Please stick to these rules and we will all be a little safer this season.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

Fish-Hunter

Re: Navigation Lights - What to do

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

^^
Yep , agree . i notice alot of boats on anchor @ night with no lights on @ all , only to turn them on once they hear you approaching .

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:02 pm

How true, people must think they are saving money by keepng their lights off. It extremely dangerous and I see it all the time.

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Don't get me started on this one.......I cant stand it when people don't bother to make themselves seen at night. don't people understand where they are? and what can happen if a boat hits them.
I thought having to get a licence might help get rid of some of these people, clearly they just don't care, but i guess they will when something happens!

@#$@#$%$%#$%^$!!!! :angryfire:

On a good note this weekend is looking like good fishing weather.......... :banana:
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:17 pm

How Many times you just dont hear a another boat travelling on its way , till its almost too late . Only too see the white light be turned on & nearly miss a anchored boat , thats been sitting quitely in the dark . most guys say they do this to protect their precious marks , but they are just a accident waiting to happen . smh

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Georged2,

sorry you miss read the regs,

1. Master head light is more orientated to sail boats and some power boats have them, they are a triangle head light with red/green front and white at the rear with a wide angle spread.

They have made it confusing in the new handbook and this is how you made the mistake.

Powerboats under way
Vessels under 12 m in length must show the following lights
a) sidelights, masthead lights and a stern light;
or
b) sidelights and an all round white light.

What they mean is that boats under 12m in length must be ABLE to display the following lights.

So lets go on the assumtion that most trailer rec boat users will have and use option B
(as this is most common)...

So whilst underway off more than 7knots than you must display sidelights(nav lights)....preferrabily stern light too Not round white light...that is the bit your confusing as the round white light is NOT master head light or stern light.

Whilst at anchor the all round white light on only...u can have deck lights extra on too...nav lights are meant to be off.

You do NOT drive with anchor light on (allround white light).... you can have your deck lights on as this will serve as a stern light.
But the allround white light is ONLY displayed if at anchor or if you are drifting at a rate not more than 7knots...

The way they have printed the new edition can be confusing....

Dr Drift...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Dr Drift wrote:Georged2,

You do NOT drive with anchor light on (allround white light).... you can have your deck lights on as this will serve as a stern light.
But the allround white light is ONLY displayed if at anchor or if you are drifting at a rate not more than 7knots...

The way they have printed the new edition can be confusing....

Dr Drift...

Does it matter if you are underway with the all round white light on? I have all my running lights on the same switch?
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Dr Drift, not sure how you interrupt the information in the handbook but you are wrong.

The statement in the book that refers to the masthead light also considers Sailing boats, it’s just put in the same section. This is why you have A) for Sail and B) Powered

The handbook clearly states...
b) sidelights and an all round white light.
This tells me that all your Nav lights must be on while on the way. It’s clearly stated.

At Anchor, you only need your All round light on and that’s it. If you want more lights eg. Cabin, then go nuts.

Just to be clear, I just got off the phone with a reputable boat instructor and he has confirmed exactly what I have stated to be 100% correct.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Clumpy, I also just got off the phone with Transpost Safety Vic and they have also confirmed what I had said to be correct.

So yes, while on the way you must have your all round light on and red & green lights.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:47 pm

lucky I dont have a boat :lolf:

I will worry about this when I have cured my sea sickness. :sick:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Boating”