Project: Pocket Game Boat!

Betz

Project: Pocket Game Boat!

Post by Betz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 am

So I finally managed to flush the turd from the garage (Brothers EF wagon) and now my 1985 Streaker 5.02 is in its rightful place.

Unfortunately it needs a lot of TLC to bring her back to scratch.

I have had the beast for 12 months and dragged it from Melbourne to WA and NT where it performed like a trooper and raised some seriously good fish.

Will be using it for Kings and Marlin on the NSW south coast, Bluefin at Portland and other extended trips around the place :cool:

Things to do:

- strip all electrics and fittings from the hull
- repair gelcoat scratches, dings and repaint + new decals
- fit SACA anchor and winch
- fit live bait tanks and new bilges
- fit hydraulic steering, trim tabs, burley pot and a ladder
- new windscreen, hardtop made from a solar panel and new lighting
- new seats + build in some storage
- new outriggers, rod holders and downrigger
- new sounder/GPS, radio and stereo
- new fuel system and tanks (120+ Liters)
- new trailer rollers + easy launch boat catch

Engine is 1997 90hp v4 which needs the loom repaired, engine may be replaced by a later model 4stroke or I may just tidy it up as it has performed well.

That's about all I can think of right now, anyone with some tips I am all ears!

:cheers:
- "A man who can grow a beard is the kinda man you want to be with because a man who has the patience to grow a beard, has the patience to deal with your crap."

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Project: Pocket Game Boat!

Post by ducky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 am

Looks like a fun project mate. Why the solar panel hard top? Unless of course it was going to live outside you'd see no benefits? Looks a bit cramped height wise in the garage interested to see how the top works. Are you thinking barcrusher 560c style roof?

adsukir34

Post by adsukir34 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 am

WOW betz you've got a lot of work for yourself there! What sort of budget are you working to? Good luck mate and keep us updated with your progress ;)

Betz

Post by Betz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah something along the lines of 560c hardtop, mate does solar so thought we might use a panel for the roof as I'm not a fan of bimini tops and they interfere with casting space.

Budget is minimal and new items will be constructed my myself or reused where possible, but of course not everything can be DIY so yeah, will be interesting to fit everything in without over capitalizing on what it is.
- "A man who can grow a beard is the kinda man you want to be with because a man who has the patience to grow a beard, has the patience to deal with your crap."

toygtr

Post by toygtr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Dual batteries if you haven't got them in already. Trickle charge from solar panel. Do a good size bait tank too. I just made one for my boat which I can remove to take land based aswell. Nothings fresher than a live bait.

:fish22:

Betz

Post by Betz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 am

toygtr wrote:Dual batteries if you haven't got them in already. Trickle charge from solar panel. Do a good size bait tank too. I just made one for my boat which I can remove to take land based aswell. Nothings fresher than a live bait.

:fish22:

Yep, that is the plan with the solar panel, all accessories on a deep cycle and preserve the crank battery just for the engine.

I also want to run a series of cameras, maybe a small android PC or raspberry Pi.

The molded rear seats are not really usable in my boat so one side will be a bait tank, the other I was considering making up some tuna tubes :)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:09 am

Betz wrote:
The molded rear seats are not really usable in my boat so one side will be a bait tank, the other I was considering making up some tuna tubes :)
Hey mate. This is just my opinion but I think the tuna tubes are a waste of time and money on a Vic boat. Not saying you wouldn't use it at all but for the sheer amount of times you would use the tubes over say a live bait tank I think the space is better used as an insulated drainable tank. That way it would be symmetrical to the live bait tank and you have somewhere to put your frozen pillys etc. or a few stubbys. Lol

Betz

Post by Betz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 am

Your right ducky, I may not go the tuna tubes as they are really only for Blue marlin, I might be able to mount them on the transom.

Also being only 5m I prefer to be towing lures around at 8-10 knots rather than slow trolling live baits out in the big blue at 3-4 knots, its bum puckering enough on a good day!

Return to “Boating”