Boat ramp help?

Clumpy

Boat ramp help?

Post by Clumpy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi all,

Looks like we will be moving to Pearcedale in the next couple of months, that now make's WPB bay very close, the closest ramps are going to Hastings, Warneet and Tooradin.

Has anyone used these ramps, which one is better ramp wise, which one has the better channel?

any advice would be great....thanks guys :)
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Boat ramp help?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Tooradin, cant launch or retrieve on low tide, neither is it possible at Warneet, especially on the low low.

Mostly I have used Warneet. Hastings has a long channel where it is perhaps necessary to follow someone out and in a few times.

Very important in all those locations to follow the channel markers.

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Tooradin, cant launch or retrieve on low tide, neither is it possible at Warneet, especially on the low low.

Mostly I have used Warneet. Hastings has a long channel where it is perhaps necessary to follow someone out and in a few times.

Very important in all those locations to follow the channel markers.
thats great info, cheers!
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

MISTAKOOL

Post by MISTAKOOL » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Stony Point would be the safer option....

Hastings can be a nightmere for a beginner to navigate!

Clumpy

Post by Clumpy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:08 pm

MISTAKOOL wrote:Stony Point would be the safer option....

Hastings can be a nightmere for a beginner to navigate!
I have launched from Stony point a few times now, might just drive that little bit extra for a nice easy launch.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Safari

Post by Safari » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 pm

I've used Tooradin ramp a dozen times in the past year and a half and never had an issue at all.
I have asked around while at the ramp about low tide, And all say the same that it's never to low to get a boat in.
There is a good pontoon for easy launching etc, Stick to the markers and it's a breeze, Don't get me wrong, it gets low but there is a channel all the way to the ramp, Plenty of 20+ ft boats going in and out, 10min from pearcedale. They were my first times out in WP

Salted

Post by Salted » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Clump,

I grew up in Pearcedale and have (with the old man) only ever launched from Hastings. I haven't been there in alot of years and now im over in Geelong i have never launched my own boat from there.
I think it has improved alot (saying that it was always good) but i do here whispers from old mates who still launch from there on a very regular basis that while the fish are on the chew, if ya dont get there really early, u will have one helluva wait.

Another thing i remember quite well is that submerged at the bottom of each ramp are railway sleepers/logs so to speak where the ramps finish, if you feel the trailer against the ( u will only EVER get this on a very low tide) STOP!!!!! There's one mutha of a drop off..... Seen quite a few car/trailers pulled out by the tractor at the adjacent yacht club...........

Return to “Boating”