Catch of the year!!

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Re: Catch of the year!!

Post by Joker91 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Well I'll give it a go tomorrow And let you know how it tasted. I'm actually looking forward to catching a shark on it now :D

Just with a few mates. Nice and relaxing day for it, the water was perfect

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat May 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Joker91 wrote:Might try the salmon tomorrow. What's your best reccomdation on cooking them ?
Mince them and make fish cakes, for Thai style fish cakes try using white bread soaked in coconut milk rather than potato as the binding agent, very tasty and different, if you crumb them you can also add desicated coconut to the bread crumbs. Or cook them using a method that will add flavour and prevent them from drying out. Baking in foil or paper (even banana leaf) with lemon, dill, pepper etc.. or cooking them in a wet dish such as a curry or seafood pie etc.

As somebody else said, its important to bleed them and clean them ASAP. And remove the blood line to get rid of the real fishy taste.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun May 26, 2013 10:00 am

Glad you had a good time , but have you ever heard of catch & release mate .

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 am

There is always two sides to the story. He may have had an empty freezer and went out with the sole purpose of filling it for now. He may go out tomorrow and release them all as he now has enough. As long as people are within their bag limits I don't think it is an issue. On saying that, someone did ask how many people he was fishing with and unless I've missed it, that question has gone unanswered. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt (re: bag limits etc), especially when they are putting their results out in public.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 am

Joker91 wrote:
Just with a few mates. Nice and relaxing day for it, the water was perfect

I think this is the response to the question Jim, which would put themwithin bag limits.

benjic1000

Post by benjic1000 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Funny, people worried about taking a small amount (60 fish) of salmon from the ocean... there is a reason there are so many fish in Australia compared to other countries. We have strict bag limits, to keep the population healthy. Most people also don't take their full bag limit home with them. I applaud fishermen who catch and release only, means more fish for everyone else to eat. But please don't push your greeny attitude onto other people. Seen many posts on here that are anti taking all your legal quota home.
Trust me, I spend a lot of my time in Indonesia and they take everything from the ocean. It will be interesting to see fish stocks there in years to come.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Sun May 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Joker91 wrote:As soon as I got home I cleaned my batch and in the freezer now. We cooked some of the flatheads today, and they were beautiful. Might try the salmon tomorrow. What's your best reccomdation on cooking them ?

I really have to try use the salmon to catch some gummies. Never caught a gummie shark yet but I'm on a mission to find one
cut small pieces of tomatoes and onions + peppers then put them in their tummies wrap them in foil
then chuck it in the oven till cooked :dinner:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:57 pm

they are one of the best fish smoked you'll ever taste

give it a go
might change your guys only for bait theory !!

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:07 pm

if you can get hold of some tee tree then smoke it with that ..... it gives them a wicked taste
happy eating

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I eat lots of Aussie salmon. Always gut and bleed them as soon as I catch them. Place them in cool salt water for 20 minutes to help them bleed. Small ones I fillet and bone then just cook them like any other fish fillet. Larger ones I either make fish cakes. (potato, fish , egg and herbs) or I use them in a tomato based soup.
Soup is simple and great at this time of year. Can of crushed tomatoes, veggie stock, veggies of your choice, herbs of your choice. I like Mexican style.
Cut up the large fillets into cubes add to soup and simmer in the crock pot for a 6-8 hrs hours. You would swear you were eating a white meat of some sort.
I just had some for dinner.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Boating”