Buying a boat for the bay.

5ubzero

Buying a boat for the bay.

Post by 5ubzero » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm

I want to buy a boat for the bay and ocean. $$$ is a issue here being that im only 19. what is the cost of a boat that is safe to be out there? . How many metres does it have to be?

Price range of maximum $10,000 any suggentions?:)
Last edited by 5ubzero on Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TrevKing

Re: Buying a boat for the bay.

Post by TrevKing » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm

I'd go between 4 and 5 metres.
I don't have a boat, and don't have too much knowledge on boats, but looking at pictures anything under 4 wouldn't be safe on the bay.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm

5ubzero wrote:I want to buy a boat for the bay. $$$ is a issue here being that im only 19. what is the cost of a boat that is safe to be out there? . How many metres does it have to be?
Dosen't your old man have a Barcrusher?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Depends on so many varables.

But I would suggest 17ft, ie just over 5m.

I would suggest buying a second hand boat 80's that has been repowered and has had a replacement trailer.

Remember the cost of maintance and do not over look the design and condition of the trailer.

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 pm

+2 on what frozen pod said. So many forget bout the poor old trailer and a good trailer makes boating life so much easier. Launching and retrieving a breeze where as a poorly setup trailer makes it a nightmare and u will end up hating it. Older good condition hull fine. Newer aged motor more important. Shop around its a buyers market that's for sure. Even look at things above ur price range. Than bargin. U b surprised how much some are willing to drop prices ATM! What ever u get. Get it checked out. Private market has a lot off lemons and takes a bit off digging through unfortunately. 100 or so bucks to get a tech to check out motor etc might end up saving u thousands.
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 am

Dr Drift wrote:+2 on what frozen pod said. So many forget bout the poor old trailer and a good trailer makes boating life so much easier. Launching and retrieving a breeze where as a poorly setup trailer makes it a nightmare and u will end up hating it. Older good condition hull fine. Newer aged motor more important. Shop around its a buyers market that's for sure. Even look at things above ur price range. Than bargin. U b surprised how much some are willing to drop prices ATM! What ever u get. Get it checked out. Private market has a lot off lemons and takes a bit off digging through unfortunately. 100 or so bucks to get a tech to check out motor etc might end up saving u thousands.
Good advise Tony . ;)

Betz

Post by Betz » Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am

4.8 - 5m is what you want, anything smaller will mean you need to wear a pfd while underway,

My pick would be Savage Streaker 5.02, (I have one) but other makes such as Haines will have some good hulls as well.

A well set up 5m fiberglass will have no problem fishing Portland or Eden if you have the right safety gear and enough fuel, I dragged mine around Australia and caught Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna and Dolphin fish amoungst others.

cheers
- "A man who can grow a beard is the kinda man you want to be with because a man who has the patience to grow a beard, has the patience to deal with your crap."

richo

Post by richo » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am

im in the same situation as you, i just bought a ute to tow a boat now i have to buy one, im 20 and have the same price range, goodluck mate, we should keep eachother posted, im liking the centre console tinnys because i dont plan to go out to far so it should the job, anyways goodluck again
nothing beats a day/night out fishing!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

What do you want to do? Chase snapper and Whiting or head offshore also? If only the former a tinny or kayak will do. If you're hell bent on bigger and better then break it down to 3 components. If going glass make sure you check for buggered transoms, floors and stringers. They're the ones that cost the most to fix. Motors need a mechanic to look over them, but as a start look at boats recently (past 3 years) repowered with newer motors. You lose money repowering. Trailers aren't such a big issue. Providing the main frame is structurally fine, fixing a setup with new rollers etc. Is cheap and easy with a few mates, a quiet boat ramp nearby, a spare day and a slab and bbq waiting at home. Either way any second hand boat is a compromise in the end

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

richo wrote:im in the same situation as you, i just bought a ute to tow a boat now i have to buy one, im 20 and have the same price range, goodluck mate, we should keep eachother posted, im liking the centre console tinnys because i dont plan to go out to far so it should the job, anyways goodluck again

Thanks for the reply everyone:)

IM lucky i can use my dads 2011 nissan navara:D

Return to “Boating”