Rye boat ramp last night

Clumpy

Rye boat ramp last night

Post by Clumpy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 am

I heard the gummy were on off Blairgowrie last night (Wednesday night), so I got home after work packed the boat and headed down the Peninsula, picked up my mate in Rosebud and got to Rye boat ramp.

I have never been there before so as any ramp i get out of the car and had a look around, I see the channel markers have no lights, or they are not working. No way in hell I’m trying to navigate a unfamiliar channel with sand bars at night with no lights on the channel markers. (Far too cold to get out and try and push the boat of a bar)

Has anyone else used this ramp before, is this normal for this ramp? is there issues with the channel hence the lights being off and it should only really be navigated during the day?

I will head back down next week to have a look during the day

Anyway no gummy but the beer at the Rye pub was good...... :cheers:
An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

TackleNut

Re: Rye boat ramp last night

Post by TackleNut » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Clumpy,

You did the right thing, its a terrible ramp to come back in to during the day let alone at night, even when you have your maped gps all lite up showing you the trougths and position of where your at during the ride in.
At night, the way it weaves its way in is terrible, changing direction just when you think you should go straight, better off going in and out a few times during the day and get used to seeing where your ast and get a feel for it.
Do it a few times and then the ramp isn't such a problem, but for newbies it can be a real a trap.

The pub was a much better idea, I will agree.

cheers
tacklenut

Tezza_26

Re: Rye boat ramp last night

Post by Tezza_26 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:59 am

Tacklenut is right as usual, but don't forget the bar right behind you as u launch! If your boat is of a reasonable to large size even getting off and on the trailer can be squeezy. Daytime for the first few times for sure.

Return to “Boating”