Finn Spindrift - Cheap, fun and safe way to get on the water

GONE FISHING

Finn Spindrift - Cheap, fun and safe way to get on the water

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm

G'day everyone,

My first post here, hopefully add some value to the members aboard.

My name is Jay and I am the proud owner of a Finn Spindrift Dinghy.

I have been a keen land based angler for about 3 years and couldn't wait to get my first boat. I searched and searched and searched for 2 years looking for the right one to meet my requirements. I had a very tight criteria and I am sure there are others in the same boat (pardon the pun) who could benefit from sharing my experiences. My criteria included:

- space in the yard was limited, needed something smallish
- had to be stable. I needed to feel safe in it
- Enough to carry a second person if needed/wanted
- Could be used in both river/lakes and bay
- CHEAP - money was tight, so under $2k to spend
- Something I wouldn't get bored of.

I initially bought an inflatable Intex Seahawk 4 person 12 footer... which was a waste of time. It was enough though, to give me the dreaded bug... I searched for the next 12-18 months umming and argghhing about whether to get a kayak or tinny....

I had seen some unbelievable kayak setups and in my view, they are more stable in the bay than a tinny. However, not too keen on fishing sitting down and not being able to stand comfortably for the next 4-6 hours... and I wasn't confidence in my fitness to paddle back to shore against a strong wind (or wind of any kind for that matter lol).

Tinny was an idea because could carry 2 people plus alot of gear, easy to launch, doesn't take up space... etc.

Anyhow long story short I ended up finding a Finn Spindrift dinghy. I bought one off fleabay with an 8hp Evinrude which gets me around the bay at around 20-22km/h. Not bad !

Its a twin hull design, 10ft dinghy that carries all my gear (anchor, rope, 2 pfd's, 11L fuel tank, tackle box, knife set, another spare 5L jerry can, and all my other safety gear, clothing.

Best thing is, I can launch at a boat ramp or beach.. as I have transom mounted wheels. Its hilarious seeing the look on the faces of other boaties at the boat ramp when they see my green machine wheeled down... thinking its a toy... until I hit top speed and am skimming the top of the water... love it !!

Basically, for alot of people who can't afford the price or space of a larger boat, give this one some real thought. Its light (55kg dry), very stable thans to twin hull design, seats 2 comfortably, and can fit in the back of a ute or 6x4 box trailer....

I've had it out 5-6km into the bay... in WPB, PPB, and various rivers/lakes...

Here are some pics for those that are interested. I hope it may give some options and useful info to those in a similar situation I was... I have no regrets with my Spindrift !

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Finn Spindrift - Cheap, fun and safe way to get on the w

Post by ducky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Don't know if genuine first post or advertiser. lol.

Funky looking boat anyways.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm

I assure you I dont work for Finn... or any other boat manufacturer or what not.

As I said at the beginning of my post, this was a real dilemma for me and searching on google didnt help as there wasn't much out there about this boat... Just thought I'd try and help someone who may be in a similar situation.

Cheers though mate :-)

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

I reckon it's an absolute Cracker, how much did you pay all up?

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks Snipper,

Its not bad mate.... when you can't afford a half cabin or dont have room to store it.. this will do !

I paid $1200 off Fleabay for boat and 8HP evinrude.. then add the rod holders, fuel tank, depth sounder, and little bits and bobs it owes me less than $2k... full safety gear including flares and I can tell you I've out-fished bigger boats in this... size doesn't always matter !

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm

I noticed you at Werribee ramp there, have you ever launched from Campbells cove coz it looks perfect for that area?
Just a thought, I reckon a bimini cover would finish it off nicely

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:23 pm

mini Cat haha nice little boat

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Looks nice !

But personally think that is abit too crowded for 2 person maybe? And with the size like that, not sure it would be stable enough to stand up for thsoe who is not very quick/stable on their foot .......

Curious, had you gone out on that on a choppy day ? eg. 10 knots onshore wind ?

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Nah mate, I didnt even know about campbells cove until about 3 weeks ago lol - Is there somewhere for me to park my car with 6x4 box trailer there? Also, how far would I have to wheel the boat to get to the shore? I had it out around the breakwall on Saturday near the new developments but was dead quiet... alot of Jellyfish... would have been hundreds around me

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks Snapper Slayer... lol she does alright mate.

CrazyChenski: I mainly go out with 2... trust me not crowded... more room than any Kayak I've seen. I have 2 on and we can both stand, cast, move around. I had in 11knot wind with my brother on board (we are both around 85kg each) and it was fine.. Got a bit of spray but considering my mate was in his half cab and got soaked... I think we did alright lol

Trust me mate, these things are super stable. I'm not the lightest bloke on my feet... but I drove this back from 6km out at Corio to the boat ramp standing up the whole time enjoying the scenery. I dont have a GoPro yet but will definately get one soon and take some footage..

Return to “Boating”