Top Five Tips to Buying a Second Hand Boat

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Top Five Tips to Buying a Second Hand Boat

Post by VooDoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Messiah wrote:I'm 15, and have just got my first boat, fiberglass 15ft, new trailer and 30hp evinrude motor. I bought the boat for 350$ on its own then I bought the trailer and motor separate for 2300$. so u dont have to spend much to get a decent boat just have to look around and be patient.
Well done on getting a boat for that budget Messiah!

However, unless you know what you're doing then I think a budget of $3.5K is a bit on a very low end. Yes .. you can get a small tinny for that price but would you want to risk your life in the ocean. You could ebay all the separate parts and assemble it but you better know what you're doing coz unlike a car that can just halt to a stop .. boats can sink and you will be far from civilisation in the open occean. Best land base fishing and save up for a more sea worthy outfit. At least you won't put yourself in danger or any else for that matter.

Best of luck with your search :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Messiah

Post by Messiah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks,
I only did a little bit of work to mine and it's handles great in the bay.
[GHOST][GHOST]

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I've got a 4.2m tinnie with 2 people on board each can have 3 rods each.
I've also had 3 guys in it but we only manage to have 2 rods each.
So the more people you have on board the less rod per person.
With 30hp I can feel the motor struggle with 3 people on board.

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 pm

If your chasing a second hand boat , or need any advice or repairs... Go and see 'Allnutt Boat Repairs' in Mordy. Ask for Marcus 'Snowy", and tell him 'Cannonball / Rick' sent you (old cd radio nicknames !), sure to look after you (might even take you fishing free!)!. Between him and the oldman (and cousin pompie) , they have run the Mordy area (and own most of it too ! ) and servicing/hiring and selling boats from around the ppb for around 70+ years now, best in the business imo. Great bunch of blokes , very helpfull and realy know EVERYTHING to do with the waters/ especially PPB.
I used to work for these guys years ago, I'm not just big naming them because they are friends, they truely know their sh!t.
Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

andrew_melbourne

Post by andrew_melbourne » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm

rixter wrote:If your chasing a second hand boat , or need any advice or repairs... Go and see 'Allnutt Boat Repairs' in Mordy. Ask for Marcus 'Snowy", and tell him 'Cannonball / Rick' sent you, sure to look after you (might even take you fishing free!)!. Between him and the oldman (and cousin pompie) , they have run the Mordy area (and own most of it too ! ) and servicing/hiring and selling boats from around the ppb for around 70+ years now, best in the business imo. Great bunch of blokes , very helpfull and realy know EVERYTHING to do with the waters/ especially PPB.
I used to work for these guys years ago, I'm not just big naming them because they are friends, they truely know their sh!t.
Cheers , Rick.
Thanks Rick.
Tight Lines,
Andrew.

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm

No worries mate , hope you find what you are looking for within your budget ;) .
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Brucon

Post by Brucon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm

I got a 12ft tinny with front steering and forwar controls on trailer with both regd for 1600, as long as ur not expecting great things and you can read the weather, I go a km off shore from werribee south

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 am

Major considerations;

1. Glass hulls. These are prone to rotting if not lokerd after. Also som,e older boats have motors fitted that are too large/heavyy for the original build. So, for starters always check the transome for cracks/rotting. If in anyy doubt at all - get a professional opinion.

2. Ali boats can be prone to galvanic corrosion. If there's any sign oif pain blistering around fixtures then make sure you check the bare hull (inside) for corrosion. Again, if in any doubt - get a pro to check it.

3 Motors. Probably the 2nd dearest part of any setup. Get it checked by a qualified mechanic before buying. Hrs on the clock are usually not a worry for rec fishers as long as the doink has been properly serviced/maintained. 500 hrs might sound like a lot but a properly looked after motor should last a rec fisho easily around 2500-3000hrs (that's ast least about 30 years worth of rec fishing).Proper & regular service/maintenance is what it's all about here. Don't even think of biuying unless you can give it a good test run.

4. Trailer. Many people overlook this area but it can prove very costly to find the trailer aint what it should be. No-one likes the idea of a jack-knifed trailer due to brakes not working, etc. Ditto no-one wan't to see their beloved boat end up on the road because the trailer rails are badly corroded.
Be prepared to factor repair/replacement into the purchase cost if it's a good boat.

5.Ancillaries. It can be expensive to have to replace canopies. side clears, sounders, GPS's, radios, etc. Remember that all fishing boats must have certain safety items aboard by law. If they don't come with the boat then the boat is useless until they are purchased - factor their purchase cost in.

Lastly, it might sound expensive to have to pay a professional to check out a boat you may not end up buying. However, it's a damned sight more expensive to buy a boat only to then be faced with a hefty repair bill. Pay the money for the opinion of professionals. It's worth every cent.

Bill.

andrew_melbourne

Post by andrew_melbourne » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am

Bartnmax wrote:Major considerations;

1. Glass hulls. These are prone to rotting if not lokerd after. Also som,e older boats have motors fitted that are too large/heavyy for the original build. So, for starters always check the transome for cracks/rotting. If in anyy doubt at all - get a professional opinion.

2. Ali boats can be prone to galvanic corrosion. If there's any sign oif pain blistering around fixtures then make sure you check the bare hull (inside) for corrosion. Again, if in any doubt - get a pro to check it.

3 Motors. Probably the 2nd dearest part of any setup. Get it checked by a qualified mechanic before buying. Hrs on the clock are usually not a worry for rec fishers as long as the doink has been properly serviced/maintained. 500 hrs might sound like a lot but a properly looked after motor should last a rec fisho easily around 2500-3000hrs (that's ast least about 30 years worth of rec fishing).Proper & regular service/maintenance is what it's all about here. Don't even think of biuying unless you can give it a good test run.

4. Trailer. Many people overlook this area but it can prove very costly to find the trailer aint what it should be. No-one likes the idea of a jack-knifed trailer due to brakes not working, etc. Ditto no-one wan't to see their beloved boat end up on the road because the trailer rails are badly corroded.
Be prepared to factor repair/replacement into the purchase cost if it's a good boat.

5.Ancillaries. It can be expensive to have to replace canopies. side clears, sounders, GPS's, radios, etc. Remember that all fishing boats must have certain safety items aboard by law. If they don't come with the boat then the boat is useless until they are purchased - factor their purchase cost in.

Lastly, it might sound expensive to have to pay a professional to check out a boat you may not end up buying. However, it's a damned sight more expensive to buy a boat only to then be faced with a hefty repair bill. Pay the money for the opinion of professionals. It's worth every cent.

Bill.
G'Day Bill,

Thank you very much for your input.

All the Aluminium Boats I have seen have been in good condition, with ample Ancillaries. However, it's the motor I am most concerned about. At the moment, I'm am heavily leaning towards buying a boat trailer combo and the motor separately.

Every boat owner I have visited have all claimed that their motors have been serviced and thoroughly washed after each use. However, I don't believe most of them.

Due to my restricted budget (3.5 - 4k), I don't have as much choice as others do who have 10k+ budgets.

Thanks again Bill for the tips.
Tight Lines,
Andrew.

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 am

Brucon wrote:I got a 12ft tinny with front steering and forwar controls on trailer with both regd for 1600, as long as ur not expecting great things and you can read the weather, I go a km off shore from werribee south

1km offshore is a long way from Werribee South in a 12 foot tinny, are you sure that you dont mean 1km out from the ramp at Werribee South. There is a very big difference between off shore and inshore waters and 1km offshore is no place for a 12 foot tinny in any conditions.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Return to “Boating”