Best SS prop for poly 450 frontrunner ?

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Best SS prop for poly 450 frontrunner ?

Post by Grasshopper67 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:07 pm

Can someone advice best SS prop size for my Polycraft 450 frontrunner ?

Currently have 13in 3 blade alloy getting near 6000 revs….will SS make any difference on this hull and will it add top end ?

Am told by a marine mechanic a SS prop is wasted on a poly hull bcz of its poor design

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Best SS prop for poly 450 frontrunner ?

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:12 pm

Getting speed out of a poly hull is hard yes..
If you haven't got max hp as is then a SS prop isn't going to do much, even then you would gain 5km if your lucky for $500 or so that it costs to get a new SS prop.

Try the polycraft owners page on fb someone tgere might have a better idea on size.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:40 pm

I have a solas stainless steel prop I rang them they suggested a pitch and number of blades to what I wanted out of the boat ie speed or hole shot etc. The prop they sent didn't do what I wanted still wasn't hitting Max rpm I returned it to them and they sent another with a different pitch just cost postage.
I have dinged it twice on the ramp putting the boat on the trailer cost $200 each time to repair.
The stainless prop is definitely better but not by much more, looks good though

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:08 pm

Yeah one of the main reasons I haven't bothered with a SS prop is damaging it or in my instance with a smaller motor will more than likely damage gearbox or internals..
I fish a lot of structure and shallow water, so I've stayed away from the SS prop.. almost Everytime I've been on a bream trip I've come back with paint missing on the skeg and prop.
If you get the right size and pitch in an alloy it's still going to make a difference but it's not going to be mind blowing..
You can also get your std alloy prop modified for pitch which might make some difference too

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:51 pm

From what I understand with a SS prop if you hit structure it can potentially damage the internals of the engine, where an ally prop just bends.So its worth bearing that in mind also

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Grasshopper67 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone for replies…I’ll stick with alloy most likely…I only fish the bay so am careful about hitting structure…but take purple Steve’s point at the ramp ! I get near 6000 revs with my 13inch pitch alloy abs top end is 53ph so it’s ok but holeshot is great !

Nude up as a matter of interest what size SS prop did you trial on your poly?

I run max HP Suzuki 60

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Mine is a haines mate with 200 hp on the back. I was suggesting give solas a ring they would advise you on what would suit.

Return to “Boating”