Am I unreasonable?

ango

Am I unreasonable?

Post by ango » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:24 pm

Today there was a break in the weather and I finally got out on the water Yay!. So I am anchored up waiting for a bite and a couple of guys come within 30m or so on the plane before slowing, then they get about 10 yards away and shout "how you going, getting any fish". This pissed me off and I told them if I was catching anything they would be spooked now so why not **** off and not approach boats which are anchored up like this. Is it unreasonable to expect a bit of courtesy on the water?
Cheers
Ango.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Am I unreasonable?

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:45 pm

ango wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:24 pm
Today there was a break in the weather and I finally got out on the water Yay!. So I am anchored up waiting for a bite and a couple of guys come within 30m or so on the plane before slowing, then they get about 10 yards away and shout "how you going, getting any fish". This pissed me off and I told them if I was catching anything they would be spooked now so why not **** off and not approach boats which are anchored up like this. Is it unreasonable to expect a bit of courtesy on the water?
Cheers
Ango.
Definitely not unreasonable, based on the way you described the encounter I imagine the case was that they do not understand the boating etiquette otherwise they are just obnoxious. Either way I imagine they won’t be doing it again soon. Definitely don’t expect courtesy as there are always going to be idiots no matter where you are, wait until they see you catching fish mate, they will literally park on top of you. Can’t imagine how frustrated the charter boys get.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:39 pm

Seems reasonable to me.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:54 pm

Unless there ya mate in the other boat ,I think ur reaction was appropriate.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Tackleberry
Has liked: 302 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:02 pm

Well considering they broke the law I think they're nothing but **** heads
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 am

Kool fair enough
I had one guy that would chase me around and he would annoy the crap out of me by talking heaps.
Had to tell him off to get rid of him-
I go out to fish for peace and quiet

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:48 am

I was diving the other day at the squid/whiting grounds at San Remo and I was maybe 40m (if not more) from his boat swimming around, which he came in an anchored after I was already in the water, and the ******** had the audacity to tell me to move from HIS area because I would scare HIS fish away and that I should move spots (yeah I’ll just swim to the other side of the bay). I told him he’s got to be joking, in some choice words, he said come over here and see what happens, I told him it’s probably not wise to threaten someone who’s holding a spear gun in his hands. Called me a hero, lifted his anchor and motored off.

I am very aware of boat etiquette, even though I was not in a boat, I was still nowhere near his casting area, and regardless, I can get within a meter of a Whiting before I scare it off.. 40m? Yeah nah, you’re just an idiot buddy.

This is kind of the opposite of your story, but I’m more so just highlighting the fact that some people think they know everything but really have no idea (not insinuating this is you.)

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:23 am

I think you get a mix of people on the water, those who don't understand personal space and those who already put a claim on the fish/squid before they've even hooked them.

Last thing anyone wants is for a school of fish to be spooked by a stranger approaching them while at anchor, completely fair response.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:25 am

My personal favourite is when there’s a group of boats and people motor between em pr choose to motor 20m out the back of your boat instead of running past the front of it.

Generally speaking people are dumb af. Especially those that get angry but are the first to do the same to others.

If we are in a group of boats for whatever reason we move slowly.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:55 am

ducky wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:25 am
My personal favourite is when there’s a group of boats and people motor between em pr choose to motor 20m out the back of your boat instead of running past the front of it.

Generally speaking people are dumb af. Especially those that get angry but are the first to do the same to others.

If we are in a group of boats for whatever reason we move slowly.
Was fishing offshore Mallacoota just before New Years, and we were amongst around half a dozen other boats near Gabo island (probably around 150m apart) and that blue Cootacraft Boss that’s owned by the cootacraft owners literally came between us all sitting on 100 clicks.

I would have usually been pissed right off, but considering it was doing the speed it was doing in 2m swell and 15 knots of chop and spent more time out of the water than it is, I was just purely impressed.

Still a cockhead ego move by them which was fairly dangerous but 🤷‍♂️

Return to “Boating”