Formula 15 Renovation

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Formula 15 Renovation

Post by bowl » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 am

Like the white color.
Ball park figure of hours spent and money spent.
I know v17 ,r going for 50k.
Wonder urs would sell for.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 am

bowl wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 am
Like the white color.
Ball park figure of hours spent and money spent.
I know v17 ,r going for 50k.
Wonder urs would sell for.
I’d like to think it would sell for low $30’s. Replacement costs would be mid $40’s. Once it’s finished 100% I’ll get it valued for insurance purposes and I’ll be pushing for $40k agreed value.

2 days till nelson. Wiring not complete. Was on it till midnight last night. Probably another midnight finish tonight. Won’t get a water test for the sounder functionality I don’t think

As for hours. Literally hundreds. Hesitant to put a number on it. But lots of rework to get things right while learning.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

Multiple midnight finishes in the past week and last night 1:30am. But the wiring is done. Has come up fairly tasty.

A few tidy up jobs to complete tonight and it’s ready for the 4am trip to nelson tomorrow.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am
Multiple midnight finishes in the past week and last night 1:30am. But the wiring is done. Has come up fairly tasty.

A few tidy up jobs to complete tonight and it’s ready for the 4am trip to nelson tomorrow.

What in the James Bond is that gizmo?

And since when can you upload mp4 on imgur and wrap them in img bbcode tags?

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Laser etcher eats vinyl sticker. So it’s a clear acrylic with black vinyl sticker. Names etched into it. Then backed with a yellow acrylic and an led fitted to the back to provide backlighting.

Good result from a bit of a brainstorm

As for the imgur stuff. Nfi but it was a happy accident discovering it with another image. I’m not arguing. It’s cool

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:14 pm

ducky wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Laser etcher eats vinyl sticker. So it’s a clear acrylic with black vinyl sticker. Names etched into it. Then backed with a yellow acrylic and an led fitted to the back to provide backlighting.

As for the imgur stuff. Nfi but it was a happy accident discovering it with another image. I’m not arguing. It’s cool
That’s cool, how did you come across that machine? I’m assuming it’s pretty common type of equipment in the sign writing game?

Clever to think of that. Most people would just go out and buy a standard boring old switch panel

All the stuff in this build, I look at, and think how did he think of that, or how did he even source that material or them parts

I didn’t think a rebuild would be all that complicated, but I was wrong, you’ve clearly done all your research. I wouldn’t know where to begin…

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:59 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:14 pm
ducky wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm

That’s cool, how did you come across that machine? I’m assuming it’s pretty common type of equipment in the sign writing game?

Clever to think of that. Most people would just go out and buy a standard boring old switch panel

All the stuff in this build, I look at, and think how did he think of that, or how did he even source that material or them parts

I didn’t think a rebuild would be all that complicated, but I was wrong, you’ve clearly done all your research. I wouldn’t know where to begin…
Having mates with a business that has all the equipment to make such a thing of beauty helps.

If all you're doing is stringers, floor and transom without any external stuff you could have it gutted in a weekend, grinded out and holes filled the following weekend, stringers and transom glassed in the week after, floor down midweek ready for flowcoat on the weekend and on the water in a perfectly useable state in just over a month building it inbetween work and family commitments. It's once you start doing the casting decks, chopping and changing top decks and other layouts from original, pushing weight balance limits, spraying gelcoat and wanting things to actually look nice, that's when it starts getting more complicated and far more time consuming.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 pm

Cobby has nailed it. I thought I was in the final stretch in November… I just got to the point I had put so much effort into it I didn’t want it to look half arsed. Having a mate like marto just means magic happens… haha

About 4 years ago I did a boat rewire on this thing using a pre wired 8 way switch panel. I knocked off a 14 day run of 12 hour night shifts and had to flick over to dayshift start 24 hours after knocking off. To aid staying awake I started it. 7 hours later I was finished.

This ridiculous over kill took dozens of hours because it was all trial and error with fabricating **** and great care taken to make it all hidden.

But I’m bloody happy. Boats ready to fish as of 15 mins ago. Car loaded. 3 hours sleep and nelson bound for its test run

So bloody stupid…

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:41 am

ducky wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:11 pm
Cobby has nailed it. I thought I was in the final stretch in November… I just got to the point I had put so much effort into it I didn’t want it to look half arsed. Having a mate like marto just means magic happens… haha

About 4 years ago I did a boat rewire on this thing using a pre wired 8 way switch panel. I knocked off a 14 day run of 12 hour night shifts and had to flick over to dayshift start 24 hours after knocking off. To aid staying awake I started it. 7 hours later I was finished.

This ridiculous over kill took dozens of hours because it was all trial and error with fabricating **** and great care taken to make it all hidden.

But I’m bloody happy. Boats ready to fish as of 15 mins ago. Car loaded. 3 hours sleep and nelson bound for its test run

So bloody stupid…
Enjoy! :ch:

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:20 pm

70kmh with the 18p vengeance 2 up with a full tank of juice. Will change to 19P laser 2 tonight hopefully and see what tomorrow brings

Return to “Boating”