Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Ivans wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:53 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Looks like you need to go fishing a lot more then.
I hope you can work out what the holes are meant for.
Cant do that till i am good with the boat :)
Fishing is next thing to learn
That's what I mean. Go fishing more often. Aka use the boat more often. Practice makes everything a lot better in the boating world. We are all still learning no matter how long you have been a boater.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:10 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Ivans wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm
what re the easiest way for a regular bloke like me who dont know much about fixing stuff like this? Thanks in advance
The quick and dirty put in a hose and join both outlets on each side of well with a hose and some hose clamps, can be permanent if your lazy..

Also if your lazy put a short hose on each separate outlet and clamp some round plastic or wood dowel in the short hose..

BEST Option is to remove the plugs and fiberglass the holes permanently.

It's minor stuff don't sweat it... not like rebuilding the transom or floor like some poor schmucks end up doing when buying second hand !
Was going to suggest joining them together with a hose , but I didnt just in case it's a self draining hole for the deck..or something similar..

I was thinking maybe even one of them is the drain from the bait board..
But without properly taken pics it's hard to say..

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Ivans wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:48 pm
Anyone can tell me what these holes are for?
When i returned to boat ramp the other day i was wondering why the bilge was full of water. Those holes on left and right go straight into the bilge. It was quite a choppy day and some water may have got in from outside. Are those holes supposed to be there? Isnt that bit dangerous as water may flood the boat ?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/52812952@N08/8i3G35
https://www.flickr.com/gp/52812952@N08/30A2Q0
It is some sort of through hull fitting, possibly for something that is no longer on the boat. Or even an old engine that is long gone.

If it is just a through hull fitting that is not in use just silicone it to stop it leaking.

In heavy weather my boat also takes on a bit of water through the engine well. Nothing to be alarmed about, i just keep an eye on it and pump it out if i need to.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:14 pm

In heavy weather my boat also takes on a bit of water through the engine well. Nothing to be alarmed about, i just keep an eye on it and pump it out if i need to.

Mine tooooo

hornet wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

The quick and dirty put in a hose and join both outlets on each side of well with a hose and some hose clamps, can be permanent if your lazy..

Also if your lazy put a short hose on each separate outlet and clamp some round plastic or wood dowel in the short hose..

BEST Option is to remove the plugs and fiberglass the holes permanently.

It's minor stuff don't sweat it... not like rebuilding the transom or floor like some poor schmucks end up doing when buying second hand !

Ivans, it is just small stuff, no sweat. just need to work through them all, easy.

On the hole:

Fibre-glassing it up (with flowcoat/gelcoat on top (colour)) is the best.

Looping a hose with new fittings will work, but it would trap water and go putrid.

But an easy way that doesn't compromise integrity too much is using what is known as a "Blanking Flange", which is simply a threaded plug/flange. They can be got from Tank places, Plumbing stores and might even get them from Marine stores too. Just find the size you need. I'd get two nuts to lock them in as the boat vibration may, may loosen one. Plus "Sikaflex it" , , , , which should be your new catch phrase.

Blanking Plug.JPG

Either way you decide, I'd tidy up the Gel-coat around it. A bit of fine wet rub sandpaper then a hand polish with some product.

Hole 1.JPG

On that Engine Well drain hole that has been silicone-ed up, ,that defies logic. If that is the only drain, then get that silicone out so the Engine Well can drain out into the sea. Those "holes" might have been a way the a previous owner was trying to get the Engine Well water out. But why plug a hole that gravity does all the work for you and replace it with hoses etc and cycle that water into the boat just to remove it, not sure what those holes, hoses are all about. Fix it and make it simple, seems they complicated a simple method

Just in case you haven't used it, I love this, Marine Sikaflex is the best Silcone product I think, to use on your boat.

Sikaflex.JPG

Also, a spray Lubricant, Water Dispersant and Protection like WD40 or Inox. Inox I think is the better product.
Spray it on ALL metal fittings, threads, motor, wiring (& wiring connections). It would save you heaps of headaches in the long run.
Oh "Inox it" should also be a new catch phrase for yourself.

inox.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ivans » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Thank you, and yes for the time being i will just plug and stuff the hole with marine sealant. Then when winter comes, id do more tidy up. I bought an inox and have one on board. Sprayed the entired engine with it

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:51 pm

Dual drains on removable plastic live bait tank or it had dual live bait tanks as my old Haines had originally which overflowed into the flat part of engine well just below steering ram
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Ivans
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ivans » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 am

Found what they re for . They were connected to 2 tanks at the back (left and right) The right connector is broken and i am getting a new plug, think its called acetate plug

Return to “Boating”