Boating newbie needs opinion on engine running

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Boating newbie needs opinion on engine running

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:56 pm

10 mins is what I was told to do with ear muffs and use a dual entry one.
This gives enough time for thermostat to open.
Also I run my motor on higher idle by using the warm up lever on the control box .
This has provided better cleaning of the internals than whT I had last time. Which was confirmed by my marine mechanic at last service a month ago
Cheers

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:14 pm

You need to run the motor for at least 10 minutes so the thermostat can open and you get full water flow through the power head.

Also run it on the muffs trimmed down.

Sound and water flow is fine.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Trim depends on speed conditions weight distribution etc.

Start with neutral trim and experiment.

You want to make sure the bow does want to bounce around too much trim out or did in too much trim in.

Basically for the smoothest most efficient ride you want to have as much trim out as possible.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 pm

The motor must heat up enough to open the thermostat and allow water through the engine block

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Having used a 115 mercury for over 600 hours the noise is perfectly normal. They run on only 2 cylinders at below around 2300rpm and always sound a bit rattley with the cowling off because of it. Next time trim it down as far as you can and leave the cowling on to prevent accidental water ingress into electrics. 10 minutes is usually enough with those motors, when the telltale runs warm continually for 5 minutes you're all good to shut it off

As for how to drive it in chop, trial and error. Some boats prefer trimmed down and punch through, others like to be trimmed out a touch and blast over the top with a little speed. Personally prefer getting boat on the plane and trimming down, adjusting speed up or slightly down without coming off the plane to be comfortable enough. You want the sharpest entry point to hit the wave first which is the bow. Thats when heading into the direction the waves are coming from, if running in the same direction doing the above can bury the bow under the waves

Return to “Boating”