Cheaters Skiff

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Cheaters Skiff

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Well my last boating project was a strip built kayak and not really some one that work with wood I'm happy to say it both floated and paddled really well
IMG_1437.JPG
this was my first go at building something that floats

So time for a new project so this time one with a motor and so I sketched up a micro skiff to do as a stitch and glue boat the spec about 126 cm beam and about 410 cm long and bit like a big motorised paddle board
and I plan to build it around the 60 - 65 kg bare hull and power it with a 10 - 15 hp 2 stroke out board
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG (12.39 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
the first thing was to make sure my drawing matched up so I built a 1/3 scale modal and it stitched up fine
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
this is has a vee bow that goes back to a shallow 4 deg dead rise at the transom

so on the week end instead of flying a kite ( not really good kayak fishing weather ) I got the 3 main Bulkheads cut and the 2 main stingers as well as 3 pieces that form the transom and these were glued up - and today after work I have cut out the 2 large drain holes in the transom for any water coming over the boat
the floor will be raised above the water line and sealed with flotation built in
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
so that is the start I'll just keep chipping away over the coming weeks for some thing to do when the weather Gods fail us
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Cheaters Skiff

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 am

Good start mate
Your a braver man then some taking that on
Good luck.

Look forward to updates

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:33 am

Damn cheaterparts, impressed! Do you envision it to be less complicated than the sit in kayak?

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:33 am
Damn cheaterparts, impressed! Do you envision it to be less complicated than the sit in kayak?
It should be a quicker process being a stitch and glue boat over a strip build and to be honest it's more like what I'm use to except the panels are wood not steel and the welds take longer to go off

apart from that it's just epoxy and glass the same processes as needed on my kayak

hopefully it works out I got a kick out of designing and building the kayak and had fun designing and drawing up the skiff

I got the transom finished ready to fit last night so hopefully I'll start the bottom panels tonight - maybe have enough done to start assembly by the week end if the weather gods keep me off the water

I have also done most of the drawings for a new kayak build - this time a fishing ski the rough figures are 575 cm long 59 cm beam and 54 cm water line beam ( quite a bit narrower than most fishing skis ) and planned weight around 22 kg

this is longer , narrower and lighter than my fibre glass ski but should work good for my height and weight Or more to the point be easier and faster to paddle for and old feeble bloke like me
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am

Very nice work mate!
I’m also very impressed :)
Looking forward to the updates on this project!
Cheers :tu:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Do you have an estimate of what it will weigh on its own when finished?

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Do you have an estimate of what it will weigh on its own when finished?
I'm working on the 60 - 65 kg or in the range of the heavier kayaks like a PA hobie that way it's still some thing that could be wheeled to the water on a trolley for one bloke
and looking at a 2 stroke again to save weight I think most 10 hp 2 strokes come in under 30 kg
My kayak PBs

Cheater

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm

God you do some cool things. Goonsquad showed me a vid of a skiff the other day and I watch a fair bit of RokKit on facetube, looks like a really great fun way to get out fishing.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Murlz
Has liked: 60 times

Post by Murlz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:46 pm

WOO HOO!
You go girl. :tu: :nw:
Murlz
“I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.”

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:58 pm

DougieK wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm
God you do some cool things. Goonsquad showed me a vid of a skiff the other day and I watch a fair bit of RokKit on facetube, looks like a really great fun way to get out fishing.
I've watched a few of Rods adventures on his Stealth skiff , he just has to much fun - one of my mates ( steve ) is now dealing in the solo skiff a rotomolded plastic boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrqYGYp91Qg

the same as this jigger and they zip along pretty good for a 5 hp motor steve logged 14 knot on the GPS ( 26 kph ) with his demo boat with a 5 hp 4 stoke

and Seasherpa that deals in Stealth here in Victoria is designing a little bit larger skiff than mine but will be in glass

I first thought about building one of the Bateau stitch and glue skiffs and Mal that I kayak fish with has bought a set of there plans to do one smaller than mine
his should build weighing only 38 kg but of cause is shorter and narrower and limited to a 5 hp as well

I just thought it can't be hard to draw something up and go from there
PRYF8417.JPG
above is the transom and the 2 drain holes should empty the wet deck pretty quickly the lower edge is the floor level and the cavity from the bottom to the floor will be filled with flotation foam
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Boating”