Boat Maintenance

denis barden

Boat Maintenance

Post by denis barden » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 am

A few extras the Boat boys dont do on a service.
I do these at least one a month
Loosen nut and put anti seize on the inside-Will stop seizing of nut and possibly steering cable
Squirt steering cable with INOX to stop steering seizing,Loosen nut inside hole and put anti seize on thred -To stop seizing on Anode
DONOT ever disconnect baynot fuel line .There is an o ring seal inside and you chop it when you remove baynot.Then your motor will surge
Clean engine lid around rubber seal -It holds heaps of salt
Remove Anode and put anti seize on
Squirt INOX on both sides of webbing drum -Stops corrosion
Knock pin out and replace with nut and bolt-Easy to pull apart to greese ball races at top of unit
Remove wheel and put Anti seize between Alloy Rim and Wheel drum also Anti seize on wheel nuts

Sorry guys got a few pics and info mixed up -U can sort
Last edited by denis barden on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Boat Maintenance

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:29 am

Good tips
planning on doing a few of them next week now

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:35 am

Nice DB!
I did a bit of this kind of maintenance on my boat the other day too :)
Cheers :tu:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Nice one...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Great thread Denis.

Very timely and some great tips, points I hadn't realised.

One point I would like to add to is how important is that "anti-seize" on threads especially. Not only does it make it easier for threaded connections to be threaded apart BUT it also protects the threads. Even tightened/seized threads that you finally "Ah, it's coming now", there is damage to the threads. AND if it is a stainless bolt/screw in an AliAlloy casting, the AliAlloy side of the threads usually get mashed. So great idea :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am

your taking it to the wrong places if they dont do those things (well some of them)...

a few things ive picked up on...

- Standard gearoil/engineoil/chainsaw bar oil is great for steering cables. Undo the nut, slide it back, work some oil back and forward...viola!

- The 2nd pic looks like a hook is over the steering cable...BIG NO NO. If it is used to hold the boat down (or any real weight) this will bend the cable and shorten its life dramatically! Find somewhere else to tie to.

- There shouldnt be too much salt around the engine cover seal, this tells me you are possibly getting spray from something and it is spraying the motor. This is also a big no no. Airborne spray from transducers/burley buckets/low motor height can kill engines. Make sure you have no bad spray coming off the motor next trip out.

- Standard blue grease is fine rather than anti seieze (if you can access it)

-Also worth spraying the engine with WD40/inox etc (just not over belts or the starter drive gear)

Please dont tar us all with the same brush...

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 am

Hold onto your horses there
I showed some pics to help others out as the service people dont carry out that much
The hook you are interested in is so I dont bend right over to pick up the Outboard brace-No weight on it -Its not a tie down point
The engine doesnot throw water around
Dont use WD40 as this stuff makes greese dissolve
I donot Tar any body -This post was to help others that arnt aware of some extras to do

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:59 am

denis barden wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 am
Hold onto your horses there
I showed some pics to help others out as the service people dont carry out that much
The hook you are interested in is so I dont bend right over to pick up the Outboard brace-No weight on it -Its not a tie down point
The engine doesnot throw water around
Dont use WD40 as this stuff makes greese dissolve
I donot Tar any body -This post was to help others that arnt aware of some extras to do
-If you cowl seal is holding that much salt you need to clear it out once a month, its getting water in it somewhere. Airborne spay is the number one cause for this that i see daily.
-The hook, you would be surprised how many people wouldnt know that and i have seen people tie to that
- WD40 (or like i suggested inox) will protect wires/connections/minimise salt build up. The only spot the may have some grease over it would be over the control cables, otherwise its not needed there. A good spray every few trips will protect the engine fine.

Sorry about the tar comment

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 pm

repspec wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am

- There shouldnt be too much salt around the engine cover seal, this tells me you are possibly getting spray from something and it is spraying the motor. This is also a big no no. Airborne spray from transducers/burley buckets/low motor height can kill engines. Make sure you have no bad spray coming off the motor next trip out.
Motors last just fine with Cats and misting.

Provided the seal is good I haven't seen any issues when backing down on fish and having the cowl partially under water.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 pm

All Kool
Ive been in the Aviation and Marine Defence engineering side for 45 yrs,So ive had a lot of experience with syatems and maintenance items.
Yes you are correct there are alot of people out there that havent got a clue about mechanical ar electrical items or systems
I have a new Yammie 40 hp when I say salt on seal its not much each month but I dont want it to start rust any where inside the donk area.
It is probably salt air drying in under the Cowling
Cheers

Return to “Boating”