2019 Melbourne Boat Show

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: 2019 Melbourne Boat Show

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 am
The Haines hunters looked fantastic at the Port Phillip boating centre stand.
Is the bowed kill tank lid standard or an optional extra?

Photo lifted from someone else
Attachments
FB_IMG_1560738489417.jpg

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:14 pm

So Evo's get a bad wrap and I've read a lot of people hanging it on the HH's for quality as well.

So for those that are in the know, who makes a quality FG boat these days?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:14 pm
So Evo's get a bad wrap and I've read a lot of people hanging it on the HH's for quality as well.

So for those that are in the know, who makes a quality FG boat these days?
That is a good question yepi'mon

Seafarer's were a quality boat. They still are good from what I've heard but (apparently) the "quality" has dropped since The Haines Group bought them in 2007.

seafarer.PNG

BUT the cream I would say are the Claytons, Sea Rescue Squadrons use these back in the day, and still do. But they are in the big Boat price range AND Clayton Peake sold those moulds separately some years back when he retired and no one wanted to buy the business as a whole. Same, the owners of the 7.4 mould apparently don't make them with the same quality.

Clayton Gallant 6.8

Clayton 6.8.PNG

Clayton Gallant 7.4

Clayton.PNG
Clayton.PNG (131.38 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

Clayton Peake is a top bloke, just talking to him, you get the sense of quality. Met him a few times while holidaying at Black Point. One of those blokes you'd love to have a beer (ok, Jacks) with , , , , sadly, I never had the privilege.

Cheers, Bugatti

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

The smaller custom builders such as Cootacraft, Bass Strait Boats, Eden Craft, Clayton etc.

Carribean has been a long standing quality at good price. Fit out is not flashy but they have everything you need.

Of the mass produced boats they all have there issues/cost saving measures but my pics are Whittley, Haines Signature, Cruise Craft.

The problem with Cruise craft is not the quality but the ride it a bit too hard and the price is nothing short of stupidly expensive.

Signatures, ride quality varies a lot with the exact model and none ride as well as the old haines models. So you have to pick carefully.

I really like the compact stern drive setup on the new whittleys so compact and no impact on deck space.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Carribean has been a long standing quality at good price. Fit out is not flashy but they have everything you need.
Yes, the Carribeans are good.

Before I was married and I had money, I was seriously looking at a Carribean Intruder (19 something feet). The Reef Runner (21ft) had an issue with hull roll while cruising.

But the Intruder was the sparkle in my eye. Not great with all the "bells & whisltes", but I prefer simple, so it was perfect.

Then , , , , I got married and have kids , , , , the boat I have, will have to do , , , , and it does do , , , , quite well.

Wouldn't change a thing

Cheers, Bugz

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm
frozenpod wrote:

Before I was married and I had money, I was seriously looking at a Carribean Intruder (19 something feet). The Reef Runner (21ft) had an issue with hull roll while cruising.

But the Intruder was the sparkle in my eye. Not great with all the "bells & whisltes", but I prefer simple, so it was perfect.

Then , , , , I got married and have kids , , , , the boat I have, will have to do , , , , and it does do , , , , quite well.

Wouldn't change a thing

Cheers, Bugz
Whats the hull roll issue?

We have a Caribbean Adventurer which is basically an intruder with a different top.. Good boat!

Seafarers have always been a favourite of mine also.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:03 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:06 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm
frozenpod wrote:

Wouldn't change a thing

Cheers, Bugz
Whats the hull roll issue?

We have a Caribbean Adventurer which is basically an intruder with a different top hull.. Good boat!

Seafarers have always been a favourite of mine also.

You have an awesome boat yepi'mon, that hull/boat would have to be the pick of any boat in my eyes. Great boat, best all round size and quality made. AND Caribbean have moved with the times with a nice look AND still keeping that "conventional boat" look about it. I haven't heard a bad thing about them by anyone , , , , and I did my research.

Intruder (only thing I didn't like was the cabin windows eerrkk, was going to customise some to look nicer)

Caribbean Intruder.PNG

Adventurer (is this like yours Yepi , , , , I'm jealous as)

Caribbean Adventurer.PNG

The Hull roll from what I understand was/is only with the Reef Runner (next size up, for those following the story) it didn't affect any other boat in the Caribbean Stable.

Caribbean Reef Runner.PNG
Caribbean Reef Runner.PNG (154.07 KiB) Viewed 2636 times

The Hull would lean/roll to one side (left). Not all Reef Runners suffered from this. It depended on the Outboard Motor configuration. It had something to do with the torque of the large outboard being transferred to the hull and the Hull would lean/roll to the left.

This was easily fixed with Trim Tabs (very common on the Reef Runner).

Caribbean Reef Runner Trim Tabs.PNG

From what I understand Caribbean were going to (probably have) try to fix this by having small block shapes moulded into the rear of the bottom hull just short of the transom (does yours have these) but I haven't followed this up , , , , as The Wiggles and Kindy trips were the priority, so not sure if they have.

Anyway, now there is another person I am Jealous of , , , , :(

Cheers, A very very very very good Deckie, Bugatti ;-)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:10 pm

frozenpod wrote:
The smaller custom builders such as Cootacraft, Bass Strait Boats, Eden Craft, Clayton etc.

Of the mass produced boats they all have there issues/cost saving measures but my pics are Whittley, Haines Signature, Cruise Craft.

The problem with Cruise craft is not the quality but the ride it a bit too hard and the price is nothing short of stupidly expensive.

Signatures, ride quality varies a lot with the exact model and none ride as well as the old haines models. So you have to pick carefully.

I really like the compact stern drive setup on the new whittleys so compact and no impact on deck space.
The new SL22 hard top certainly looks the goods.

Heard a few stories on Edencrafts quality controls of recent times. The 565 shouldn't have been shelved for so long either, it's the best alround Australian mould full stop.

Throw in Tournament and Seafarer coming out of Wacol too.

Hary at Hitech fibreglass bought the moulds for the smaller Cootas and are now Razorcraft. If they turn out anything like Jon Maslins turquoise 565L they'll still be top notch. That's got to be the sexiest 565 in the flesh in the country

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm

cobby wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:27 pm
rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:55 am
The Haines hunters looked fantastic at the Port Phillip boating centre stand.
Is the bowed kill tank lid standard or an optional extra?

Photo lifted from someone else
Hadn't seen this can only go with what I saw at the show. So what's the backstory behind it? Have seen the 680 patriot story someone shared I can't remember where.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”