RWD Towing big boats?

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: RWD Towing big boats?

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm

Thebadfisherman wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:04 pm
Thanks for all the replies, I never though about tow ball weight, as I was told you just want to have an evenly balanced boat, not have a lot of weight on the front of the trailer. Thanks for the help and others' experiences with such vehicles/boats, I'll keep this in mind when I am looking for that boat...
The tow ball weight is usually about 8-10% of the weight of what you are towing. i.e if the rig weighs 1000kg, the tow ball weight should be 80-100 kg.

And there should be a placard that states the maximum tow ball weight for your vehicle.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 am

If the maximum towball weight is reached you could always put something heavy in the tub if the Ute. A cheap and safe way to find if weight over the rear wheels will help is to stack a few of the cheapest 20kg bags of concrete mix in the back

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 am

My uncle use to have a 1 ton van and had trouble with back wheel spin so he put a 2 bags cement in the back of the van
Also said this helped with every day driving too lol

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Thebadfisherman wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Hi there,
I have a holden crewman with 2500kg towing capacity, and was wondering if this converts to the same for launching a boat, as I love the car and don't want to upgrade and want to know what it is probably capable of, couldn't find much of this online, except to bring kitty litter if you start slipping. Already have an old small 4.3m runabout~400kg, and when retrieving at black rock got a fair bit of wheel spin(lots of weed on the ramp), would a bigger boat have more weight on the rear for more grip or does it only go so far?
Bigger boat is harder to pull up.

Slim at low tide is always and issue for RWD.

For two drive cars FWD often does better purely as the front wheels are out of the slime.

4WD is a massive advantage but if you are going to keep you current car the following helps a lot.

Really good tyres, reducing tyre pressure, ie going down to 20psi, if you have an auto left foot firm on the brake and right foot on the throttle as this will semi lock an open diff. If you have a manual use the handbrake.

With a bigger boat if you have two people use the boat motor to push the car up the ramp at the start to get the car moving.

Return to “Boating”