Interesting could save a life

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Interesting could save a life

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:05 pm

If fishing on your own I highly recommend at minimum a PLB on your PFD.
Also I would not recommend that last blow up ring if you fall overboard or injure yourself - Good Luck trying to unzip it & get it out & on etc :(
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I had the misfortune of letting someone drive my boat off cape woolami pulling lures they saw a load of fish on the sounder pulled the throttle the boat rotated 180 degrees and wrapped all the lines round the prop. Someone had to strip off and go in and cut the lines off the prop. I tied a rope to a fender then to the boat and threw it out the back. I jumped in and cleared the prop keeping one hand on the rope knife in the other bar nearly knifing myself in the head it was ok.
I always tell anyone on my boat if you fall in do not try and swim to the boat just go with the tide use your energy to stay a float I will come and get you.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:34 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:05 pm
If fishing on your own I highly recommend at minimum a PLB on your PFD.
Also I would not recommend that last blow up ring if you fall overboard or injure yourself - Good Luck trying to unzip it & get it out & on etc :(
Hi FishnMiss (welcome back to posting)

FYI , , , , PLBs are the ultimate, no doubt. And OMG it goes with-out saying that PFDs are invaluable when worn and not when stowed away , , , , at anytime.

That's the end of the acronyms, lol ;-)
Maybe not :)

Just thought I'd say , , , , your signature quote " For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing " I totally believe in, so Good Show.

I also like another similar one, with a more personal reflective tone , , , , "When we see something and think "somebody should do something" , , , , we should remember, we are all a somebody"

Cheers, Bugattiman
who is a somebody who doesn't believe in doing nothing

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:48 pm

watched this, this morning. never knew you couldn't swim against the current, just figured it wouldn't push you as quick was running, for some dumb reason.

that's a real eye opener, as the old bloke in the vid said. like him, I do a lot of solo night fishing and if I were to fall over its pretty much game over.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Easy Peasy-Forget about PLB its too late if u in the drink at 0300 during Winter-These are after thoughts-Must make sure you dont go in -2 Lanyards for me as I fish many times at 0300 alone
Lanyard from Boat to your belt on your Life Jacket-PFD- and a lanyard to the Kill Switch to your Life Jacket belt

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 pm

denis barden wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm
Easy Peasy-Forget about PLB its too late if u in the drink at 0300 during Winter-These are after thoughts-Must make sure you dont go in -2 Lanyards for me as I fish many times at 0300 alone
Lanyard from Boat to your belt on your Life Jacket-PFD- and a lanyard to the Kill Switch to your Life Jacket belt
Always wondered what you did Denis.
Nice to see that you have your bases and backside covered.
Preparation is the best approach to an emergency that you hopefully never have.

Cheers, Bugatti

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 pm

The current in WP is INSANE.
A few years ago, when I was 14-15 ish, I went on a mates boat out for a day on WP. Right as the tide was running out at its strongest, my dumb arse decided to trip over nothing and full overboard, 6am in the middle of July and got rendered pretty much unconcious by the shock of the freezing water. My friend, an U16 national swimmer jumped in to save me, but we were both swept away by the current. I also had no pfd which has really, really stupid. You can't fight the current. There's simply no chance against it. Luckily on that day my mates dad was a competent captain and drove after us, we were in the water for a mere 10 minutes and I couldn't feel my limbs for a while after I got pulled out.

Extremely scary, and could easily been prevented had I tied myself to somewhere on the boat, had a pfd, or just paid attention to where I was walking.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:33 pm

wem21 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:23 pm
The current in WP is INSANE.
A few years ago, when I was 14-15 ish, I went on a mates boat out for a day on WP. Right as the tide was running out at its strongest, my dumb arse decided to trip over nothing and full overboard, 6am in the middle of July and got rendered pretty much unconcious by the shock of the freezing water. My friend, an U16 national swimmer jumped in to save me, but we were both swept away by the current. I also had no pfd which has really, really stupid. You can't fight the current. There's simply no chance against it. Luckily on that day my mates dad was a competent captain and drove after us, we were in the water for a mere 10 minutes and I couldn't feel my limbs for a while after I got pulled out.

Extremely scary, and could easily been prevented had I tied myself to somewhere on the boat, had a pfd, or just paid attention to where I was walking.

Thanks for sharing wem21

Just shows how easy it can happen and how we need to be vigilant with our safety.

Best thing to have in any emergency, is a calm head. Your mate impulsively jumped in , , , , now there are two emergencies. Lucky your mate's Dad had a calm head.

Glad there was a positive outcome.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Boating”