Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:13 pm

ducky wrote:Depends where you plan to fish and how you’re fishing. If you’re planning on fishing with anyone else a tinny is the go. If you wanna combine fishing/fitness as a solo person a yak is the go. The expensive yaks are cool but for the most part you can do far more in a tinny and in greater comfort.

This does come at a cost as a tinny is slightly more expensive to run compared to a kayak. But with ramp fees set to be abolished sometime in the next few years it’s only really fuel and servicing you’re paying for. A tinny is easier that a yak if you have a bad shoulder aswell as the bigger yaks can be a pr*ck to cartop
Yes, a little push more and I get a tinnie instead of a hobbie kayak.
I guess for comfort, tinnie is the go but costly, also has to launch in ramp etc, plus starting cost like installing tow bar etc.
Prepping kayaks can be a bit annoying.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Own a boat and a Hobie kayak and they both serve there purpose.

Will start with my boat that I use around Westernport and offshore well decked out for fishing need to use ramps but can access areas a lot quicker than a kayak and fishes more comfortably.

Previously I was of the view that if I was going to spend the amount of money on a kayak that a Hobie costs I may as well get a tinny what changed my mind was the idea of having something I can put on the roof of my car and go and fish waterways that aren't accessible by boat or are easier to fish in a yak they are quiet now have the ability to drive forwards or backwards and extremely easy to fish out of great for casting lures for bass or perch.

It really depends on what you are after they all have their advantages and disadvantages I would never use a 5m paddle kayak in the backwaters I fish but will get my Hobie in there anytime.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:59 pm

rb85 wrote:
Previously I was of the view that if I was going to spend the amount of money on a kayak that a Hobie costs I may as well get a tinny what changed my mind was the idea of having something I can put on the roof of my car and go and fish waterways that aren't accessible by boat or are easier to fish in a yak they are quiet now have the ability to drive forwards or backwards and extremely easy to fish out of great for casting lures for bass or perch.
Exactly what I'm thinking!
Yes, the Hobbie advantage of being able to reverse paddle is great, free the hands to keep casting and stay in position.
True, each has their advantages and disadvantages. I'd buy both if I could :-D

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Seb85 wrote: Lighter definitely helps, narrow also good to cut through water/waves. Would it be stable though?
Those high end hobbie is wider but provide stability, wide also means some room.
Often i have too much going on between my legs.
there are 2 parts to stability -- primary stability ( hobie and other fat kayaks have lots of ) and secondary stability ( longer fishing skis and sea kayaks have )
in bigger seas secondary stability is far more important - being able to stand up is far less
so stability is relative to what you need - speed and ease of covering distance is something else that you can also look at

an example a short time back I did a trip with a fishing mate from Blind bight to Irish jacks return and against tide both ways - around 8 - 10 km total distance -- ( not far any way ) he was in a Hobie revo 13 ( not a slow boat by there stds ) Leejo struggled to maintain even a slow cruse speed into the tide and found it damm hard work - he has now upgraded to a 5.75 meter fishing ski and has probably doubled his speed and now pushes into a tide with ease
more to the point he now keeps ups up -- how do both these boats compare to you 3.6 meter cheapy both are faster and easier to cover ground
I wouldn't like to paddle your boat into the tide ether

check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCG-b46fdqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCG-b46fdqg

watch how Tommo just sit side saddle and can move around on the yak and yes they are stable enough to pull big fish and the water was pretty carm off shore at Coffs that day
laneends wrote: Top end kayaks extend that range over the effort/safety required to that in a cheaper one. But it is still time and effort

Keith knows the distances we some times paddle he also would have no problem covering 30 km on a trip in Westernport tide flows and he uses a Hobie revo 16 but paddles it more than he pedals - I also know he keeps looking and a longer fishing ski
rb85 wrote:It really depends on what you are after they all have their advantages and disadvantages I would never use a 5m paddle kayak in the backwaters I fish but will get my Hobie in there anytime.
I agree and I wouldn't wont to pedal a Hobie 10 km off shore or surf launch where as I would be happy to in my stealth
it does depend on what you need from you kayak but test as many as you can
at least having fished from a kayak so you already know what you are looking for in storage and fish ability
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:42 pm

What everyone here is saying is true. Horses for courses. I own/have access to kayaks, tinnys and offshore rigs. I use all of them, all of time, but for different things. I do think the most versatile and value for money is a 4.2meter tinny with a 25-40hp engine though. If you're prepared to wait till mid winter then you should see some bargains coming up in the second hand market. You can easily launch and retrieve one in most places (even beach launch) on your own, you have room for a mate, they don't cost too much to run, they tow behind anything with a hitch. You can do the estuaries, bays, rivers. Cover long distances easily, go shallow. Etc.

Kayaks have their place and can do some things that a tinny can't but unless you're a die hard kayak fishing fan then a tinny is where I'd look befaore expanding my options further. Getting your boat license and learning to tow is all part of the fun.

No disrespect to the yakkers out there (I just spent this weekend fishing WP in one and had a ball on the cleeland squid) . It's just my opinion for someone that wants to start out and learn the ropes of fishing from a floating platform.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:54 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Seb85 wrote: Lighter definitely helps, narrow also good to cut through water/waves. Would it be stable though?
Those high end hobbie is wider but provide stability, wide also means some room.
Often i have too much going on between my legs.
there are 2 parts to stability -- primary stability ( hobie and other fat kayaks have lots of ) and secondary stability ( longer fishing skis and sea kayaks have )
in bigger seas secondary stability is far more important - being able to stand up is far less
so stability is relative to what you need - speed and ease of covering distance is something else that you can also look at

an example a short time back I did a trip with a fishing mate from Blind bight to Irish jacks return and against tide both ways - around 8 - 10 km total distance -- ( not far any way ) he was in a Hobie revo 13 ( not a slow boat by there stds ) Leejo struggled to maintain even a slow cruse speed into the tide and found it damm hard work - he has now upgraded to a 5.75 meter fishing ski and has probably doubled his speed and now pushes into a tide with ease
more to the point he now keeps ups up -- how do both these boats compare to you 3.6 meter cheapy both are faster and easier to cover ground
I wouldn't like to paddle your boat into the tide ether

check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCG-b46fdqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCG-b46fdqg

watch how Tommo just sit side saddle and can move around on the yak and yes they are stable enough to pull big fish and the water was pretty carm off shore at Coffs that day
laneends wrote: Top end kayaks extend that range over the effort/safety required to that in a cheaper one. But it is still time and effort

Keith knows the distances we some times paddle he also would have no problem covering 30 km on a trip in Westernport tide flows and he uses a Hobie revo 16 but paddles it more than he pedals - I also know he keeps looking and a longer fishing ski
rb85 wrote:It really depends on what you are after they all have their advantages and disadvantages I would never use a 5m paddle kayak in the backwaters I fish but will get my Hobie in there anytime.
I agree and I wouldn't wont to pedal a Hobie 10 km off shore or surf launch where as I would be happy to in my stealth
it does depend on what you need from you kayak but test as many as you can
at least having fished from a kayak so you already know what you are looking for in storage and fish ability
I dont think I will fish for a marlin offshore but I see your valid point there. Even kayaks have each variety for each purpose.
No issue with open water kayak, but seems a bit limited.
Oh I have two of those $350 kayak btw, both has 24 lb electric motor. Unless the person is fit as or a keen fisherman, they wont join. But anyone can be on a tinnie.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 pm

kayak costs: purchase price, listed addition to your contents insurance (for theft cover), any upgrades you do (sounder, lights etc). Advantages: ease of launch anywhere. Fish where boats can't go. Can store anywhere at home. Pure stealth fishing.
Tinny costs: purchase price, insurance cover (roughly $250p/a for 3k tinny no layup period) running costs (uses less than $20 a trip in reality), any upgrades you do, boat licence (if you don't have one or renewal cost every few years), trailer and boat regos (about $90 p/a), launching fees for most metro ramps (can beach launch small tinnies in certain places) annual service ($200 give or take). Tinny advantages: travel further and quicker, better comfort level, can take a mate who also offsets costs for the day (or even go halves with said mate in the boat to further offset costs).

Tinny obviously has ongoing costs beyond what a kayak has, but if you're not interested in fishing skinny or super shallow water and sticking to either bay the tinny probably makes more sense. You're still restricted in either craft when it comes to weather and equally exposed to the elements (although easier to put a canopy over the tinny for shade)

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm

skronkman wrote:What everyone here is saying is true. Horses for courses. I own/have access to kayaks, tinnys and offshore rigs. I use all of them, all of time, but for different things. I do think the most versatile and value for money is a 4.2meter tinny with a 25-40hp engine though. If you're prepared to wait till mid winter then you should see some bargains coming up in the second hand market. You can easily launch and retrieve one in most places (even beach launch) on your own, you have room for a mate, they don't cost too much to run, they tow behind anything with a hitch. You can do the estuaries, bays, rivers. Cover long distances easily, go shallow. Etc.

Kayaks have their place and can do some things that a tinny can't but unless you're a die hard kayak fishing fan then a tinny is where I'd look befaore expanding my options further. Getting your boat license and learning to tow is all part of the fun.

No disrespect to the yakkers out there (I just spent this weekend fishing WP in one and had a ball on the cleeland squid) . It's just my opinion for someone that wants to start out and learn the ropes of fishing from a floating platform.
I like the word versatile. Since I cant afford to have both.
Yeah, will take sometime to save anyway, will start looking around in few months.
I will keep my current kayaks anyway, as everyone said, some places are easier with a kayak. Though, getting them on the roof rack and down, ratchet straps, etc can be annoying. Towing is much easier and quicker.
Kayaks don't need much maintenance too, plastics don't rust, no cleaning required. :)
But yeah, I might find boating has it's own troubles. So far, it's money, lol. Boat+trailer, license, tow bar.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 pm

cobby wrote:kayak costs: purchase price, listed addition to your contents insurance (for theft cover), any upgrades you do (sounder, lights etc). Advantages: ease of launch anywhere. Fish where boats can't go. Can store anywhere at home. Pure stealth fishing.
Tinny costs: purchase price, insurance cover (roughly $250p/a for 3k tinny no layup period) running costs (uses less than $20 a trip in reality), any upgrades you do, boat licence (if you don't have one or renewal cost every few years), trailer and boat regos (about $90 p/a), launching fees for most metro ramps (can beach launch small tinnies in certain places) annual service ($200 give or take). Tinny advantages: travel further and quicker, better comfort level, can take a mate who also offsets costs for the day (or even go halves with said mate in the boat to further offset costs).

Tinny obviously has ongoing costs beyond what a kayak has, but if you're not interested in fishing skinny or super shallow water and sticking to either bay the tinny probably makes more sense. You're still restricted in either craft when it comes to weather and equally exposed to the elements (although easier to put a canopy over the tinny for shade)
Thanks Cobby, thats sums it up well.
Yeah, I get sea sick on a rough weather, so I wont go out without checking the wind, swell, etc. Only go out on easily manageable weather.
Thanks for doing the thinking, will take them into consideration.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 am

Seb85 wrote: Towing is much easier and quicker.
Kayaks don't need much maintenance too, plastics don't rust, no cleaning required. :)
But yeah, I might find boating has it's own troubles. So far, it's money, lol. Boat+trailer, license, tow bar.
I trailer my kayak and not roof top so do most of the guys I fish with - quicker set up and no salt water being dumped on the roof of the car
the box built on the trailer carries all my wet gear so the car doesn't smell like a fish market
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Boating”