Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am

Hi all,

I have been having a dilemma, whether to save and get a small cheap tinnie (e.g. 390 Quintrex around $4000) or get a Hobbie (those Hobbie kayaks are expensive, can be or more than a tinnie).

Currently I have $350 3.8m kayak and detachable watersnake 24lb electric motor and sounder. Sometimes it's difficult to juggle between rods, bait/lures and paddle. With current/wind, it's hard enough to stay in position.

I have a 2.0L wagon and roof rack, no tow bar though. Don't have boat license either.

What do you think?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:49 am

Seb85 wrote:Hi all,

I have been having a dilemma, whether to save and get a small cheap tinnie (e.g. 390 Quintrex around $4000) or get a Hobbie (those Hobbie kayaks are expensive, can be or more than a tinnie).

Currently I have $350 3.8m kayak and detachable watersnake 24lb electric motor and sounder. Sometimes it's difficult to juggle between rods, bait/lures and paddle. With current/wind, it's hard enough to stay in position.

I have a 2.0L wagon and roof rack, no tow bar though. Don't have boat license either.

What do you think?
really it horses for courses - myself I would not buy ether but thats not how I fish -- I'm am a kayak user but not a Hobie fan for the most part they aren't as much fun when the weather or seas are ugly where as a good paddle kayak you have a paddle to brace with
I would also prefur a good paddle kayak to cover distance and even more so down wind

I've also been watching with interest a new kayak that is being developed here in OZ a bit longer than mine at 5.6 meters long over the 5.25 meter yak I push along now - it should be lighter and a little narrower
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 am

Tinny / Outboard / Trailer / tow bar / Boat License - Horse power beats paddle power - Electric Motor for Stealth - Easier to motor upstream than paddle.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:13 am

Try renting a tinnie and see how it compares to a yak. I just rent nowadays, less effort no cleaning/launching/maintenance no ramp fees and boat licensee and it adds up to almost the same as buying your own tinnie.

Compare running costs aoprox for a tinnie p.a.:
Boat+trailer licence $400
Ramp fees $10 per trip = $200+ just for 20 trips
Petrol $200
Maintenance

Vs kayak = almost free

If you have the money i would go tinnie but running cost adds up

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:19 am

cheaterparts wrote:
I've also been watching with interest a new kayak that is being developed here in OZ a bit longer than mine at 5.6 meters long over the 5.25 meter yak I push along now - it should be lighter and a little narrower
Not the only one

Theres fishos who use a kayak to get them off the beach/pier, and theres kayakers to whom fishing gives them an agenda. The types of things Cheater is talking about is aimed at the latter. The big hobies are aimed at the former, as they are really pedal boats.

Manouverability is easier on a kayak, along with flexibility in launch spots. They can also be roof topped.

A boat makes it quicker to try way over there if nothing is happening right where you are. Top end kayaks extend that range over the effort/safety required to that in a cheaper one. But it is still time and effort

Despite portability kayaks do tend to take more setting up/packing up than a boat, and of course getting to and from your spot.

So it comes down to where and how you want to use it.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 am

Depends where you plan to fish and how you’re fishing. If you’re planning on fishing with anyone else a tinny is the go. If you wanna combine fishing/fitness as a solo person a yak is the go. The expensive yaks are cool but for the most part you can do far more in a tinny and in greater comfort.

This does come at a cost as a tinny is slightly more expensive to run compared to a kayak. But with ramp fees set to be abolished sometime in the next few years it’s only really fuel and servicing you’re paying for. A tinny is easier that a yak if you have a bad shoulder aswell as the bigger yaks can be a p**** to cartop

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:05 pm

laneends wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Not the only one

Theres fishos who use a kayak to get them off the beach/pier, and theres kayakers to whom fishing gives them an agenda. The types of things Cheater is talking about is aimed at the latter. The big hobies are aimed at the former, as they are really pedal boats.
Going to have to disagree with you there, it's all about the style of fishing you want to do. The larger hobies have been designed with active lure casting in mind and sacrifice a bit of speed and handling for the stability that enables you to stand and cast.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:47 pm

cheaterparts wrote: I've also been watching with interest a new kayak that is being developed here in OZ a bit longer than mine at 5.6 meters long over the 5.25 meter yak I push along now - it should be lighter and a little narrower
Lighter definitely helps, narrow also good to cut through water/waves. Would it be stable though?
Those high end hobbie is wider but provide stability, wide also means some room.
Often i have too much going on between my legs.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:50 pm

eddyt wrote:Try renting a tinnie and see how it compares to a yak. I just rent nowadays, less effort no cleaning/launching/maintenance no ramp fees and boat licensee and it adds up to almost the same as buying your own tinnie.

Compare running costs aoprox for a tinnie p.a.:
Boat+trailer licence $400
Ramp fees $10 per trip = $200+ just for 20 trips
Petrol $200
Maintenance

Vs kayak = almost free

If you have the money i would go tinnie but running cost adds up
Yup, you laid out the pros and cons there.
I've hired tinnie off Mornington and quite like it. But it's limited, as i can only hire on a place available.
What if i want to go to Bullen Merri at 3am?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 pm

laneends wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
Not the only one

Manouverability is easier on a kayak, along with flexibility in launch spots. They can also be roof topped.

A boat makes it quicker to try way over there if nothing is happening right where you are. Top end kayaks extend that range over the effort/safety required to that in a cheaper one. But it is still time and effort

Despite portability kayaks do tend to take more setting up/packing up than a boat, and of course getting to and from your spot.

So it comes down to where and how you want to use it.
Yes i agree. I guess each has it's own pros.
Mostly I want to fish the bay (close to shore) or lake or bigger river.
I found no much issue with kayak on open water, like drifting in the bay/lake. But when it's windy or there's strong current, I'm struggling.
Hobbie can reverse paddle to stay in place and free the hands. Cast and paddle.

Return to “Boating”