Whats your thoughts?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Whats your thoughts?

Post by cobby » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:23 pm

fishnut wrote:I disagree with bowl, i test drove all 3 boats and choose the quintrex , it had the softest ride in choppy conditions
The motor,well thats your choice i went for the yammy after having one on my last boat for 22 years without any issues
I'm with bowl there's no way in the 4.1-4.3m size the Quinnie is worth 5k more on ride comfort. They're both going to be very average when conditions turn to garbage. Yes it will be a slightly better ride, but theres no way it's worth 4 years or even longer of boat and trailer rego and engine service costs over the Savage.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:29 pm

fishnut wrote:Yea smile 0784 i think they do from the 430 fishabout
The one i got is the 490fishabout which is 5.1m long,their sizing is a bit strange,the 430 and 481 are exactly what it says but from the 490 up the actual length is 20cm longer a bit confusing and mine is made from 3mm bottom and sides with 2mm top and feels quite solid and not noisy when it hits the chop compared to my last one which was a Southwind alloy boat
Does the flared hull help cut threw chop and make a better ride or just splach up?

cobby

Post by cobby » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 pm

smile0784 wrote:
fishnut wrote:Yea smile 0784 i think they do from the 430 fishabout
The one i got is the 490fishabout which is 5.1m long,their sizing is a bit strange,the 430 and 481 are exactly what it says but from the 490 up the actual length is 20cm longer a bit confusing and mine is made from 3mm bottom and sides with 2mm top and feels quite solid and not noisy when it hits the chop compared to my last one which was a Southwind alloy boat
Does the flared hull help cut threw chop and make a better ride or just splach up?
The flare helps deflect spray out and away from the cockpit. The newer (millenium hull-now) Quinnies do have a concave shape on the running surface (the unpainted bit) of the bow that makes it a sharper entry, that does improve the ride into head on chop. It's not worth $5k more than a 'traditional' style hull though

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks wasn't sure

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:24 am

So the latest hull for quintrex is the "blade" hull, previously it was the "millenium". These both have a concave shape at the bow entry to the water and they do improve the ride immeasurably in choppy conditions. The blade is sharper than the millenium but I haven't ridden in one so I can't judge the difference. I believe that this shape is getting closer the shape of known good hull designs that are made in fibreglass and the reason they weren't made in alli previously is due to manufacturing difficulties with pressing the shape. Is it worth $5k extra? That's subjective. Is it a better ride than the older, traditional convex style hull? Absolutely.

I don't own a quintrex but I do get to sit up in the bow of a 4.2 buster with a millenium hull (mates boat) at full noise in chop and can say that it is still as uncomfortable as that sounds but nothing compared doing the same in an old stacer I used to have.

I would much prefer to own a good condition, pre loved tinny with one of the new quintrex hull designs than a brand new tinny of the old design for the same price.

id also prefer a leading brand four stroke over an etec. And if reliability were a higher priority than fuel efficiency then I'd prefer a tradional two stroke to an etec. Just my opinion, don't hate on me for it.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 am

My theory is, you don't buy a pressed hull tinny for its ride

They all suck in chop, pick your days and locations and get the best bang for your buck boat.

You want a good ride? Go get a glass boat

cobby

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Kimtown wrote:My theory is, you don't buy a pressed hull tinny for its ride

They all suck in chop, pick your days and locations and get the best bang for your buck boat.

You want a good ride? Go get a glass boat
Yep. Even a much smaller little ram/seawasp destroys a sub 5.5m pressed alloy for ride quality...

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 pm

KeenAds wrote:
Kids are under 10.

I want something with a windscreen and of course a Bimini and clears for protection from sun and rain.
KeenAds, your head must be in a spin by now. I shall dot point, for simplicity.

DOT
I have no idea about the 2 boats you are looking at, but I don't need to as I'm not going to tell you which one is better.

DOT
I have a Skimmer (yes, a glass boat but it's relevant to my point). It is almost a flat bottomed boat, and it's more a displacement hull than a V boat but it still has some slicing ability as the bow indicates and the wake photo shows. So, in principle (and in reality when it's rough) doesn't "slice" through waves like most and has a rougher than the average ride (but neither does an Ali boat as much as others either). All boats don't magically "part the seas". So there is always an element of roughness in the ride when the seas are up, with any boat. Everyone learns their boat and what it can do ride wise and lives with it & accepts it.
Sea Snail a.jpg
image3.JPG

DOT
I don't fish when I'm cruising , , , , do you. I fish on anchor, I spend most of the time fishing, so that's where I want the boat to be the most comfortable especially with kids. My boat is very stable and comfortable on anchor, for it's size but the hull sacrifices a bit of ride for that comfort. A balance all boats make. Some lean towards ride and others towards comfort on anchor. You choose for yourself.

DOT
You can pick your calm days , , , , we all try to do that AND we all have been caught out at some point. When I'm heading back because it's too rough, 18 footers are too AND any that don't of most sizes are flip flopping on anchor. I don't love those 7 extra fish to stay out in those conditions. And cruising back for all of us boats out there, is just a variance of bad, especially in an Ali. So an Ali at that size, irrelevant of the hull, is going to be some kind of rough (just like mine). So I chose more stability on anchor, rather than a better variance of a bad ride.

DOT
Of course it is always good to have more horse power (within reason). I chose the bigger block 40, rather than the smaller block 40. It seems to run "easier" rather than "harder" as the smaller block 40s seem to do. But as any boat is Horse Power rated, it is also rated for weight of motor on the transom too, so a bigger block for the same horse power might not allow the weight.

DOT
Resale value , , , , your money, you decide. You lose some anyway, so it's a perspective.

DOT
I don't envy your task , , , , but I shall envy your boat :-D .

Good luck with it all.
Cheers, Bill

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:18 am

A cuddy cab is a must for small kids. If they get bored they can go and have a sleep or a lie down. Also good if it's too got or cold. They can get out of the elements.

I've got a 5.25 revival and the kids go and lie down if they have had enough. They soon jump back up when the fish come on

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:A cuddy cab is a must for small kids. If they get bored they can go and have a sleep or a lie down. Also good if it's too got or cold. They can get out of the elements.

I've got a 5.25 revival and the kids go and lie down if they have had enough. They soon jump back up when the fish come on
Exactly

Return to “Boating”