Trailer Modifications

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Trailer Modifications

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 am

Kimtown wrote:I've got a dunbier skid trailer, which I drive on fairly easily anyway?

Could it be converted to rollers for even more simplicity or should I just keep it the way it is if I'm not having too much problems?
Interesting enough, when I was shopping around to buy, the dealer in Warrnambool said skid trailers were better for alloy hulls as rollers had potential to damage the hull over time. The dealer I eventually went with (mainly due to proximity) dismissed this & said rollers made launch & retrieve easier. I’ve been looking at a lot of trailers at the ramp this summer & the majority look better built than Dunbiers. Would have done things a lot differently in hindsight.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 am

Mattblack wrote:
Kimtown wrote:I've got a dunbier skid trailer, which I drive on fairly easily anyway?

Could it be converted to rollers for even more simplicity or should I just keep it the way it is if I'm not having too much problems?
Interesting enough, when I was shopping around to buy, the dealer in Warrnambool said skid trailers were better for alloy hulls as rollers had potential to damage the hull over time. The dealer I eventually went with (mainly due to proximity) dismissed this & said rollers made launch & retrieve easier. I’ve been looking at a lot of trailers at the ramp this summer & the majority look better built than Dunbiers. Would have done things a lot differently in hindsight.
Lets be honest, dealers are gonna say whatever best suits them, not the buyer, unfortunately.

In saying that, my trailer seems very simple to drive on. But it's hard to compare not ever having owned a roller trailer.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 am

Mattblack wrote:
Mate...what a response! 100% agree with what you (& everyone else) has said about my issue. What really sh!ts me is that when I 1st got theboat a few years ago, I told the dealer I thought it wasn’t sitting in the trailer straight & was told it was normal & most boats did that. Seems to have gotten worse this season so I’m presuming it’s got itself more out of alignment.
I’m sure it’s an easy fix, but instead of mucking around I think I’ll shoot down to https://trailerrepaircentre.com (thanks Steve) and get them to get it running right. I’ll post the results...thanks again everyone

It is pretty easy to do yourself. You only need basic tools and a jack.

Sounds like the dealer was telling your porkies.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:34 am

Mattblack wrote:

Some fact and a lot of crap.

I have had rollers, skids and bunks.

A bad roller trailer with very few rollers can damage the hull dints or cracks. If they incorrectly setup and you can damage/mark the hull.

Rollers are expensive and to work properly particularly with a heavy glass boat you need lots of them.
They also need to be adjusted correctly which takes time and effort that very few these days are prepared to do.
A good roller trailer is the best for your hull and is the easiest to launch and retrieve.

Personally for a glass boat I would only have rollers.

Skids are simple need very little setup and adjustment saving dealers time and most importantly they are cheap.
Skids are great for alloy and a good skid trailer would be better than a crap roller trailer.

For alloy boat I would be happy with skids if you used good ramps.

Carpet bunks don't suit alloy and they have a much higher resistance.
They are much more of a float on float off design so you have to back the trailer much further into the water.
Not to bad on a good step ramp but they are an issue with shallow ramps.
They are simple easy to setup and cheap but wear through the gel coat on glass boats.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 am

frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Mate...what a response! 100% agree with what you (& everyone else) has said about my issue. What really sh!ts me is that when I 1st got theboat a few years ago, I told the dealer I thought it wasn’t sitting in the trailer straight & was told it was normal & most boats did that. Seems to have gotten worse this season so I’m presuming it’s got itself more out of alignment.
I’m sure it’s an easy fix, but instead of mucking around I think I’ll shoot down to https://trailerrepaircentre.com (thanks Steve) and get them to get it running right. I’ll post the results...thanks again everyone

It is pretty easy to do yourself. You only need basic tools and a jack.

Sounds like the dealer was telling your porkies.
https://roxom.com.au/tutorials/boat-tra ... -correctly (as per Nudeup) :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

frozenpod wrote:
Mattblack wrote:

Some fact and a lot of crap.

I have had rollers, skids and bunks.

A bad roller trailer with very few rollers can damage the hull dints or cracks. If they incorrectly setup and you can damage/mark the hull.

Rollers are expensive and to work properly particularly with a heavy glass boat you need lots of them.
They also need to be adjusted correctly which takes time and effort that very few these days are prepared to do.
A good roller trailer is the best for your hull and is the easiest to launch and retrieve.

Personally for a glass boat I would only have rollers.

Skids are simple need very little setup and adjustment saving dealers time and most importantly they are cheap.
Skids are great for alloy and a good skid trailer would be better than a crap roller trailer.

For alloy boat I would be happy with skids if you used good ramps.

Carpet bunks don't suit alloy and they have a much higher resistance.
They are much more of a float on float off design so you have to back the trailer much further into the water.
Not to bad on a good step ramp but they are an issue with shallow ramps.
They are simple easy to setup and cheap but wear through the gel coat on glass boats.
Any idea what the best type of trailer would be for a PWC?

Something that's very easy for beach/river/lake launch/retrieves where there isnt great access via ramps

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am

Hey mattblack i found that if the boat is leaning a bit to one side,this also causes it to go off,also if trailet is too far in the water the back could still be floating

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 am

fishnut wrote:Hey mattblack i found that if the boat is leaning a bit to one side,this also causes it to go off,also if trailet is too far in the water the back could still be floating
Nah, I’ve been trying different depths since I got it...the sweet spot is when the water touches the reflector on the mudguard. I can actually spin the front wobble roller on the Portside (where the scratches are)...it has some weight on it, but very little.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am

They are simple easy to setup and cheap but wear through the gel coat on glass boats.[/quote]
Any idea what the best type of trailer would be for a PWC?

Something that's very easy for beach/river/lake launch/retrieves where there isnt great access via ramps[/quote]

You have a Ute don’t you?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6AQdWzzoKU

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:43 am

If it's fine just leave it alone lol

Return to “Boating”