Boating mishap

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Boating mishap

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:09 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 50quo.html

A man is fighting for his life after his boat capsized while enjoying a morning on the water with his wife on Port Phillip Bay.

Police believe the couple were on a speedboat about 10am on Friday at Blairgowrie, on the Mornington Peninsula.

The pair had been out for two hours on their new speedboat when water began to pour into the vessel, forcing them to tread water as it sunk, 7 News Melbourne reports.

The boat then capsized and the pair had to be rescued by another passing vessel, which took them to shore.

"We were fishing and noticed a little bow sticking out of the water and two people sticking out of it," rescuer Kristo Maliadis told 7 News.

A policewoman from nearby Rosebud told 3AW radio the passing boat rescued a man and woman and brought them back to Blairgowrie Pier.

"He was conscious and breathing initially and then became unconscious and... CPR was conducted," she said.

Emergency services, including police and paramedics, were called to reports of a possible drowning about 10.10am.

Paramedics took the 71-year-old Echuca man by road ambulance to Frankston Hospital in a critical condition.

Water police were seen in the area on Friday afternoon as they investigated the incident.

They have seized the boat and will test it for integrity and seaworthiness.

Six people have died so far this holiday season at Victoria's beaches and lakes, prompting Lifesaving Victoria to urge people to remain vigilant in the water.

Emergency services are also searching for a 21-year-old Nepalese man who went missing while swimming in the Murray River near Albury on the Victoria-NSW border on Wednesday. The search for cafe worker Bigul Pandit will resume on Saturday morning.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Boating mishap

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I'd hardly call it a boating mishap when your boat sinks and someone nearly dies
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 am

Very sad
Hope he pulls through

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 am

The pair had been out for two hours on their new speedboat when water began to pour into the vessel, forcing them to tread water as it sunk, 7 News Melbourne reports.

The boat then capsized and the pair had to be rescued by another passing vessel, which took them to shore.

"We were fishing and noticed a little bow sticking out of the water and two people sticking out of it," rescuer Kristo Maliadis told 7 News.

A policewoman from nearby Rosebud told 3AW radio the passing boat rescued a man and woman and brought them back to Blairgowrie Pier.

"He was conscious and breathing initially and then became unconscious and... CPR was conducted," she said.

Emergency services, including police and paramedics, were called to reports of a possible drowning about 10.10am.

Paramedics took the 71-year-old Echuca man by road ambulance to Frankston Hospital in a critical condition.

Water police were seen in the area on Friday afternoon as they investigated the incident.

They have seized the boat and will test it for integrity and seaworthiness.

Six people have
Water safety

Simone Fox Koob
Simone Fox Koob
?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 am

Water began to pour into theiy vessel???
I wonder how. A hole in the hull? Boat got rocked to the side?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 am

Not good at all...hope he’s alright.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 am

Did it sink rapidly and they had no time to grab lifejackets and flares. Safety equipment is useless if your not able to reach it in a hurry.
Hope he pulls through.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 am

rb85 wrote:Did it sink rapidly and they had no time to grab lifejackets and flares. Safety equipment is useless if your not able to reach it in a hurry.
Hope he pulls through.
I didn't think boats could just sink rapidly due to air pockets and the flotation foam etc.?

In saying that, if my boat turned over I don't think I'd have the nuts to swim under and find the life jackets.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 am

As a rule of thumb yes I think your right. Not knowing the circumstances its hard to judge but it makes you question where safety equipment is kept.

These are a great idea that I have considered getting.
http://marinesafetypod.com/about-msp/
http://lifecellmarine.com.au

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 pm

I have a Lifecell in my boat.

Return to “Boating”