Need some recommendations

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Need some recommendations

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

My house will be on the market in the next week and the better half has given me permission to spend around 50k of the profits on an offshore boat. Already have a 5 meter tinny for the bays and estuaries so looking for something that's purely offshore fishable, and can get me to the shelf in certain parts of Victoria on good days.

Obviously my budget rules out any of newer plate boats so will probably be looking at older well renowned fiberglass hulls with a newer 4 stroke engine (or replacing older engines)

Reqs:
-6m minimum
-smooth ride is a must, the back jarring ride my tinny gives me in only small chop ***** me
-half cab
-height is really no limit as it stands, as I'll hopefully be building a shed to suit. So can be hard top.
-big tank, 200L+ for big trips.
-Live well would be handy

The old Haines V and L series are well renowned for the ride as well as most of the older Carribean hulls,
so feel free to post up any boats similar that you may think fit my budget and requirements that I can do deeper research into.

Cheers guys

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Need some recommendations

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I'd be asking for her hand in marriage before you do anything....she sounds like a keeper.

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

why dont you sell your little boat use that extra cash and get a slightly nicer 6m, can still fish the bays and esturays in it and than only 1 set of rego insurance and maintenance

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm

With a 50k budget I would be looking at late 90's early 00's boats that has been repowered and have a new trailer.

Given no height limitation check out mutli hulls ie hydrfoil 6.4m and Cats.

There are heaps of mono hull options from Haines Hunter, Haines Signature, Caribbean, Whittley, Cruise Craft ect that would do the job.

I personally would be looking at a Haines or Caribbean or Whittley.

Whittleys are very soft the 6m plus models often have 23 deg hulls but are normally considered more of a cruiser rather than fishing boats. They do make great fishing boats if you fit them out for fishing.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Mattblack wrote:I'd be asking for her hand in marriage before you do anything....she sounds like a keeper.
One day young padawan. One day.
mr plow wrote:why dont you sell your little boat use that extra cash and get a slightly nicer 6m, can still fish the bays and esturays in it and than only 1 set of rego insurance and maintenance
My bay runner is halves with my old boy. It's only a year old and was expensive as it was lol. But it's perfectly set up for fishing and awesome in places like the gippsland lakes, the type of fishing that my old man enjoys. She won't be going anywhere.
frozenpod wrote:With a 50k budget I would be looking at late 90's early 00's boats that has been repowered and have a new trailer.

Given no height limitation check out mutli hulls ie hydrfoil 6.4m and Cats.

There are heaps of mono hull options from Haines Hunter, Haines Signature, Caribbean, Whittley, Cruise Craft ect that would do the job.

I personally would be looking at a Haines or Caribbean or Whittley.

Whittleys are very soft the 6m plus models often have 23 deg hulls but are normally considered more of a cruiser rather than fishing boats. They do make great fishing boats if you fit them out for fishing.
Not sure Cats are really my thing.. but they are pretty much all the brands I already know of, need more distinct models I should be looking at.

I did find this though, this is a really nice old boat that's well under budget and would be perfectly capable as any

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... AD-5251099

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Overpriced 565 pass.

For a dedicated offshore boat go bigger.

Some specific models
HH 620SF, 630 Breeze, 650 Classic
Caribbean 6.3m Reef Runner
Whittley do a 21 and 22 foot both great options.

All those boats will be a massive improvement over a 565.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:25 pm

frozenpod wrote:Overpriced 565 pass.

For a dedicated offshore boat go bigger.

Some specific models
HH 620SF, 630 Breeze, 650 Classic
Caribbean 6.3m Reef Runner
Whittley do a 21 and 22 foot both great options.

All those boats will be a massive improvement over a 565.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's overpriced with the donk it has on it, the nice refurbishment and other features plus the fact them old HH hulls are becoming somewhat sort after but yeah it was just an example of something I
wouldn't mind

I'll have a squiz into them models.. I know the reef runners, they are a nice tub. I think someone here has one and goes to portland in it catching tuna? Anyway, Cheers

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

i would steer clear of the whitleys they might ride soft but the fiberglass work is ok at best in the ones ive seen, have alook at a seafarer victory good offshore hull. might be able to pick up a stabi for that money, they bang abit but super safe, if i was spending 50+k i would be chasing something with a proper hardtop cabin

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm

mr plow wrote:i would steer clear of the whitleys they might ride soft but the fiberglass work is ok at best in the ones ive seen, have alook at a seafarer victory good offshore hull. might be able to pick up a stabi for that money, they bang abit but super safe, if i was spending 50+k i would be chasing something with a proper hardtop cabin
To me the whitleys are quite ugly (as are the stains but they are awesome) so I'd probably be avoiding them.

A hard top is great and all but makes drifting in blowy conditions a bit more difficult. I am open to them but soft tops have their perks too

Return to “Boating”