Lowrance Fuel flow Meter

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Lowrance Fuel flow Meter

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:49 pm

[quote="purple5ive"]yota, engine is not nmea2k compatible, i believe you need an ECU as a minimum for that, so carby 2 strokes are out..the e;ite ti9 has nmea2k connection and i already have a backbone setup so should be plug and play.

matt and sin - the area where my fuel tank sits is almost like its made for the tank, i cannot fit anything bigger in there unless it was taller, taking jerry can is the only other option which im trying to avoid since its an extra bit of space take up on an already small open center console..

and yes i can see my fuel tank gauge, but its always got the needle swaying so hard to gauge

i figured if i have some sort of readout i can adjust my driving accordingly rather than take chances..

i was hoping to rely on the numbers on the screen (and also still have my visual on the gauge) and adjust speed and trim to suit best economy when need to conserve fuel.. currently its just wring its neck or sit at 4k and adjust trim to get highest speed to save fuel.[quote/]
p

That was the original option for my boat, until I discovered that I could hook the T1 to the motor.

There is another method, that uses a meter )like your water meter) that registers the flow and it availble from truck shops. It is place in the fuel line and gives the readout of how many litres you have used, but does not connect to your sounder.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:24 pm

purple5ive wrote:yeah ive been close.. carrum -mordialloc- blackrock-frankston-carrum thats was almost empty by the time i was at carrum ramp.. thats one of a few
im not going custom tank, its wayy too much $$$, ill just take extra fuel, which i have done before..
this was moreso just an extra option i thought id add to the boat, will most certainly give me an idea of how to drive economically..that way i can use that option when im doing long trips, and no ***** given on short trip...
How much is a custom plastic tank worth? and whats the place called that makes them?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:Guys,
How many here know anything about the lowrance fuel flow meter.

http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-au/Products/ ... en-au.aspx

I have a 2 stroke motor and would like to have some sort of fuel usage statistics to help me with fuel use and determine how far I can push my small boat distance wise. (snapper season is coming and theres only so far you can go with a 25l tank)
After a short look on the net this seems to be the only way to do it properly
I looked at distance travelled on the sounder, but that doesn’t exclude drifting so its useless.

Any help from people in the know is much appreciated..
I already have the nmea2k backbone and the lowrance elite ti9 to make it work, just wondering what if anything will this sensor do for me
Looking for fuel usage, and how much fuel left over in the tank etc..
Many thanks
How much it cost for the sensor

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm

From memory mine cost about $170ish about a year ago.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 pm

I installed a fuel flow meter in my streaker 545 with 130hp Yamaha with a lowrance sounder fitted. The fuel flow transducer was an easy install just cut the fuel line and place in line I installed the nmea backbone but it didn’t work a quick call to the lowrance hotline in Syd no one told me about the 20 ohm resistor you have to install at the end of the back bone.
It would give me an immediate read out of fuel the engine was using in litres per hour. You input the tank size eng size etc go out full fuel. When return fill tank up check fuel usage and you can adjust to get usage more accurate. This could vary due to water conditions etc I used mine primarily to get the best fuel flow when cruising to a spot.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Wooly . Thanks ol mate. But just after something that I can use on the sounder at this stage.

Sim.
Tanks I didnt get quite but heard from another source around 400 plus mark.
I can fit a bigger tank in the boat if I cut the metal floor a small bit. So that's a possibility. But with 2 people sitting the back plus another 20 litres of fuel again (45l tank) boat will defenitely struggle to get on plane.

Yota and nude. Thanks for the info that's what I wanted to know.
So was it accurate enough. That's what I wanted to know

Yota

Post by Yota » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Purple I got mine from Whitworths they had to order it in, took a week. Pretty sure it was about $170ish ?
I’ve had it almost a year now, but I usually only use up to 1/3 of my tank at most on a days trip.
Like last time I went out the heads from queenscliff, went as far as out the front of Torquay and back to queenscliff. Of course not in a straight line I stopped out the fron at Barwon and trolled here and there. So 40 something litres.
Then I filll up again each trip.
So I can’t say 100% it’s accurate for the tank, but from the amount I refill I know it’s pretty close.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks bud. I'll have a think about it soon. Atm its only something I'd like in the boat moreso as a backup fuel gauge.
Be good to know how to drive the boat a lot more economically from all these parameters..
Should have bought that direct injected 2 stroke from the start and had nmeak2k from.factory

Yota

Post by Yota » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 pm

No worries, glad to contribute.
Yeah hindsight is great :rofl:
It is handy having the instantaneous fuel usage readout for the economy side of things. Like in the image I posted I was using 55 odd litres per klm @ 65 klm per hour. Then you can trim up and see if your usage goes down, and adjust from there.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Yep that's kind of what I want it for. Set rpm and then trim up down. And see if anything changes fuel wise.
Then adjust speed again and do some more checking.
Once I've got it down pat then I really wont need the meter tbh..

Cant do any of that **** by looking at fuel gauge and assuming stuff. Although it's a start...

Yeah hindsight would have been reality if the dealer didnt **** me around. I told him let me think about it. ******** went and ordered 2 stroke carny. Restocking fee and extras just didnt make it worth it for me in the end...

Return to “Boating”