Boat Advice

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Boat Advice

Post by cobby » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:18 am

Anyway.... Start at 26k whilst keeping the budget up to asking price. The upholstery looks good (thousands if everything needs redoing), canopy looks alright, overall it looks in good nick. The only issue although minor, HPDI stands for high pressure direct injection, whilst the yammies don't have major issues like OMC had with it's FICHT system, they aren't as economical as the low pressure di systems like the Merc optimax and Tohatsu TLDI engines. On the boat, pay close attention to where the fuel tank is. The ply on top of the tank is only lightly flowcoated and can rot out. The rest of the boat shouldn't have any other issues

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:36 am

cobby wrote:Anyway.... Start at 26k whilst keeping the budget up to asking price. The upholstery looks good (thousands if everything needs redoing), canopy looks alright, overall it looks in good nick. The only issue although minor, HPDI stands for high pressure direct injection, whilst the yammies don't have major issues like OMC had with it's FICHT system, they aren't as economical as the low pressure di systems like the Merc optimax and Tohatsu TLDI engines. On the boat, pay close attention to where the fuel tank is. The ply on top of the tank is only lightly flowcoated and can rot out. The rest of the boat shouldn't have any other issues
:a_goodjob: I'll check the floor out, cheers. Dealer recons 3.5k spent on the upholstery, he had it done after the trade in. :thumbsup:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Personally I would steer clear of bow riders, if you want to go out from Portland. I went out at Port Fairy, and when I needed to travel back to port, I was travelling into an easterly that was whipping up a metre to one and half waves and I frequently had waves breaking over the bow.

My boat came with near new 140 hp 4 stroke Suzuki
Bimini and clears which were a little bit old
Anchor winch
Dual Batteries
Deck wash
Sounder, GPS, radio, and epirb and flares
Deck lights, plus a front spot light
It also has a solar panel to keep the batteries charged
2 fire extinguishers
70 litre fuel tank, which I just replaced with 105 litres
It also had trim tabs on the back, which I have taken off.
Sea anchor
Bilge Pump. that had seen better days, so it has been replaced.

Ideally the trailer should have been dual axle.
The radio has been upgraded to one with DSC.

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:05 pm

I'd look at a half cabin but my missus likes the bow seats so that's all I get for this boat. I've found a couple fishing boats that I would love but I have to compromise to keep the finance manager happy. I'm very cautious on fishing down that way, if it doesn't look perfect, I just go another day.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Millzee wrote:I'd look at a half cabin but my missus likes the bow seats so that's all I get for this boat. I've found a couple fishing boats that I would love but I have to compromise to keep the finance manager happy. I'm very cautious on fishing down that way, if it doesn't look perfect, I just go another day.
How old are your children mate a cuddy cab or full cabin with bean bags inside would be suitable if I have kids I’ll be adding a battery dedicated to cuddy cab children’s entertainment.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Millzee am unsure just how experienced you are at offshore fishing so apologies if this this is teaching you to suck eggs. A beautiful calm day out wide can turn bad very quickly and a 20 knot offshore wind will kick up short steep seas very fast making a return trip from out wide very uncomfortable if your boat is taking waves over the bow and water inside your boat. By the time the wind gets to you it will have had half an hour to start building seas. Weather forecasts are just that - a forecast! Most of us that have regularly fished offshore have had our arses well and truly kicked and had slow wet trips back to port - and that in boats that can handle waves over the bow. Just something to consider.

Millzee

Post by Millzee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:14 pm

I appreciate the advice, I certainly won't do anything in this boat I don't do in in my 4.5 tinny now, no shelf trips or anything like that. I tend to chase tuna when they're pretty close in, been out to about 80-100m in the tinny once but the weather was dead calm. Cheers

My boy's are 13, 12 and 10, a good age to throw the out the back of the boat tied to a rope instead of being on their games, time to get them out and exercising. The boss say's no cabins on this one, lol

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Millzee wrote:I'd look at a half cabin but my missus likes the bow seats so that's all I get for this boat. I've found a couple fishing boats that I would love but I have to compromise to keep the finance manager happy. I'm very cautious on fishing down that way, if it doesn't look perfect, I just go another day.
Fair enough. Some bowriders i have seen have a tarp that covers the bow section when not in use

Thetunaslayer

Post by Thetunaslayer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm

rb85 wrote:
How old are your children mate a cuddy cab or full cabin with bean bags inside would be suitable if I have kids I’ll be adding a battery dedicated to cuddy cab children’s entertainment.
We have a half cabin but i wish it was a open boat.we dont have mych room cast the rods when there is a few people fishing.the cabin takes up so much room

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Tell her it isnt as safe and she mite.change her mind.

Return to “Boating”