Cummins diesel .... how many hours are too many?

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Cummins diesel .... how many hours are too many?

Post by Kestrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Hi folks
I have the opportunity to purchase a boat that has a 2009 Cummins 320hp diesel 4.2 litre motor. It's done 630 hours.
Is that a bit too much? The whole rig including the motor looks like it's been well looked after with regular service records available.
Your thoughts

Kestrel

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Cummins diesel .... how many hours are too many?

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:19 pm

That's a decent size boat
Don't know about boats, but, if I had a diesel Landcruiser I'd expect at least 500,000km
Salt or freshwater cooled??
Gra

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Texas wrote:That's a decent size boat
Don't know about boats, but, if I had a diesel Landcruiser I'd expect at least 500,000km
Salt or freshwater cooled??
Gra
Salt

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Kestrel wrote:Hi folks
I have the opportunity to purchase a boat that has a 2009 Cummins 320hp diesel 4.2 litre motor. It's done 630 hours.
Is that a bit too much? The whole rig including the motor looks like it's been well looked after with regular service records available.
Your thoughts

Kestrel
That works out to 70 hours a year or about 8 game fishi g day a days a.year not really a.lot i say

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Ok, Here's the thing, realistically, it's not un heard of, for some charter operators getting in excess of 20,000 hours.
Presuming it's been serviced regularly etc etc, It's not so much about the hours it's done, it's 9 years old and salt water corrosion waits for nothing ! I would rather have one with higher hours.
Diesel Engines in trucks for instance, get huge hours because of continual use, that's why diesel charter boats get so higher hours on their engines.
A pleasure craft, isn't run continuously, really, very little, they usually don't break down mechanically, they break down from internal corrosion issues because of little use, with that being so, 1500 hours or 10-12 years in a pleasure boat just about means some major work ahead.
Remember too, diesel parts are way more expensive, along with mechanics hourly rate.
I was fairly close to pulling the trigger years ago on a 30ft berty and went right over the whole scenario, Is it shaft drive ???
I would be taking this into consideration, expect in the next few years to possibly have some big expenses, price out the cost of a new engine and barter the price down, taking into consideration, low hours, 9 years old, at best 5 or 6 years left to a potentual re build.
Low hours are these engines enemy........

just my opinion...

Col

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Ok, Here's the thing, realistically, it's not un heard of, for some charter operators getting in excess of 20,000 hours.
Presuming it's been serviced regularly etc etc, It's not so much about the hours it's done, it's 9 years old and salt water corrosion waits for nothing ! I would rather have one with higher hours.
Diesel Engines in trucks for instance, get huge hours because of continual use, that's why diesel charter boats get so higher hours on their engines.
A pleasure craft, isn't run continuously, really, very little, they usually don't break down mechanically, they break down from internal corrosion issues because of little use, with that being so, 1500 hours or 10-12 years in a pleasure boat just about means some major work ahead.
Remember too, diesel parts are way more expensive, along with mechanics hourly rate.
I was fairly close to pulling the trigger years ago on a 30ft berty and went right over the whole scenario, Is it shaft drive ???
I would be taking this into consideration, expect in the next few years to possibly have some big expenses, price out the cost of a new engine and barter the price down, taking into consideration, low hours, 9 years old, at best 5 or 6 years left to a potentual re build.

just my opinion...

Col
blacklab99 wrote:Ok, Here's the thing, realistically, it's not un heard of, for some charter operators getting in excess of 20,000 hours.

just my opinion...

Col
Thanks Col
Very helpful!
K

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Kestral, Didn't mean to scare you with my post, but they are a huge cost when the shite hits the fan.
Before purchase, I would find someone that can do an oil analysis and get a good inboard diesel mechanic to thoroughly check this engine out.
Even if it costs a bit, think of what you can save on the out lay of having to replace the engine........HTH

Col

Kestrel

Post by Kestrel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:40 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Kestral, Didn't mean to scare you with my post, but they are a huge cost when the shite hits the fan.
Before purchase, I would find someone that can do an oil analysis and get a good inboard diesel mechanic to thoroughly check this engine out.
Even if it costs a bit, think of what you can save on the out lay of having to replace the engine........HTH

Col
No.. Col... I very much appreciate your contribution. I know little about Diesels... so thanks!

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm

No prob's kestrel,
I'm no expert by any means either, but have had a bit to do with them in my earlier days,
Maybe frozen pod may chime in here with some wisdom as well, or another angle.
I guess its all about the cost of replacement side of things as well, to take into consideration.
Hope it works out for you....

Col

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 pm

630hrs is bugger all. It will rust out before it wears out.

Return to “Boating”